1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating turkey eggs?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Chicken225, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Chicken225

Chicken225 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Has anyone tried eating turkey eggs if so how is the taste?

2. upstateNYandy

upstateNYandy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    we just started getting them. 4 so far. I was finding them outside where our chicks always lay in the nesting boxes & these eggs were much larger and white with brown speckels. Figured out they were from our BBB's. what a bonus! Ate two this morning (scrambled) & they were very good! Much like a chicken egg with more of the whiite.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, I love them. I prefer turkey eggs over chicken or duck eggs. They have a very smooth taste. I LOVE THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!

4. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    if you range feed the turkeys the eggs
    taste better in cake

5. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Quote:No kidding? You can tell? I will be sure to make a cake next spring [​IMG]

I eat the first few from each hen in the spring just to make sure they're fertile. The yolks don't mix as well as chicken eggs, but they tasted fine.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    We eat them all the time. Other than being larger and harder to crack I can't say I notice any difference in taste between them and chicken eggs produced on the same pasture and fed the same feed.

7. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    They do taste the same but as A.T, said, they are harder to crack but not as hard as a guinea egg! They have a membrane under the shell that is very thick. Chicken and turkey eggs are different on free range birds due to eating grasses and bugs. It makes the eggs richer and a darker yolk.

8. BarneyChick97

BarneyChick97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Mt. Vernon, Washington
    So turkey eggs sound similar to duck eggs? Harder shell, harder membrane.. ?? We discovered some funny looking chicken eggs on the ground in our yard for the past 4 days... Oh. Wait. They are turkey eggs!! whoops!! [​IMG]

9. ScottnLydia

ScottnLydia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I LOVE turkey eggs scrambled!!! So rich tasting.[​IMG]

I always collect the first ones they lay in early spring before they start getting broody. The yolks are so rich and thick it is harder to get them mixed. Tried them fried sunny side up once, wasn't quite as good as chicken eggs. I like dunking toast in the yolk but turkey yolk was a little too thick! Good, but thick.

The hardest thing is deciding between chicks or eggs![​IMG]

~S

10. BarneyChick97

BarneyChick97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Mt. Vernon, Washington
    We don't have any toms. So we scrambled them all up this morning. They were pretty good! Not as rich as a duck egg! The shell was super sharp when I was cracking it---and the membrane was WAY thicker than a duck egg too. I think I'd eat another over a duck egg any day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by