Ebay coop - review

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, I figure the main coop area (less the nest boxes) to be somewhere between 7.5 and 8 square feet which would only be big enough for 2 hens or 3 bantams. Any idea how they come up with 5 - 10 occupants? I really like the design and functionality of the unit, I just wonder about the capacity.

ok, it's all set up and the hens have moved in! (pics in a few hours)

big_smile.png
positive - it set up very eaisly. nothing but a screwdriver needed. can set up alone, only roof is a little trickie

big_smile.png
positive - larger than it seems

sad.png
negative - nesting boxes are a little small (my girls dont seem to care)

sad.png
negative - hinges for roof/lid are a little hard to set up correctly

hmm.png
neutral - not at all insulated. but I live in central tx so not a big issue here

big_smile.png
positive - you dont have to screw the coop floor in. fits snug without, makes them very easy to clean.

big_smile.png
positive - huge roof/lid makes it very easy to clean

big_smile.png
positive - has handles, easy to pick up and move with 2 people

Overall for under $300 a very nice coop. i would say 6 hens would be comfie in there. my 4 girls (black sex links and production reds) have tons of room.

They dashed right in once it was all set up. That could have been the fresh straw, they love picking thru it making sure there are no bugs.
D.gif

I have a 7x12 dog run attached to the coop so they have lots of space for scratching.

Will post pics soon - it's still dark outside
smile.png

Patti

Fit a flexible weatherstrip above the nestbox where it hinges from the house, we have seen (replaced) many of these type of houses, almost all leak rain when it's lashing down with a bit of a breeze.

Mark.

Sweet little coop! I was looking at that one on eBay as well. Your run looks like a dog kennel, how is that working? I am thinking of buying the Petsafe 2 n 1 Kennel for my two hens. How did you anchor your run? Do you have a problem with predators like raccoons trying to get in?

it is a 7x12 dog run

they love it - mine at the moment is not anchored down. no problem with preditors due to the chicken guard named Ghost. (130lb great pyr)

we have ALOT of snakes in the area. so no racoons or rats around. thank god my birds are to big for the snakes to think of as food.

Come spring it will get anchored down. they make these clips for chain link fences:

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I put these on the bottom rail of the run and stake thru the clip into the super hard tx earth.

might add hardware cloth to the ground at some point. I do have a 2ft band of it around the bottom of the run so they dont stick their heads out.

Patti

Back
Top Bottom