Ebay eggs

Omani

Songster
13 Years
Aug 10, 2009
Machias,NY
Has any one bought pheasant hatching eggs from ebay? What kind of success have you had? I have hatched several batches of chicken eggs successfully and thought I would like to try my hand at pheasants. I'm planning on going to the Bath,NY auction tomorrow to find some more red goldens or amhersts. This is just a backup plan in case they don't have anything I like.

I agree with @Midnightman14 for the most part...depends on how they were packaged for shipping. I find that eggs that are shipped in foam egg flats have a better chance of developing and hatching versus those shipped in bubble wrap, egg cartons with tissue or sawdust.
It's a gamble with any eggs that are shipped, to many risks involved...poor packaging, rough handling by post office personnel, vibration/jostling/high temperatures during transit, can all play a part in the viability of the eggs.
And when getting eggs from eBay, some sellers will send eggs that they know are infertile and sometimes they are rotten when they ship them....I have also received eggs that were pre-scrambled before packaging, every air cell completely detached and tiny air bubbles in every egg, were found upon cracking them open. Usually from the ones that have a poor feedback score.

While I've never bought eggs of any kind before, I will do my due diligence. I got beaten out of every bid at the auction yesterday, so i've already started looking into online sellers. I do know people who had ordered chicken eggs online and gotten mixed results. I am hopeful that I can find some viable eggs, but even hatching your own can be a gamble. Wish me luck.

They arrived today,in good condition and very well wrapped. I hope I can get at least some to hatch.
IMG_20190515_130100.jpg

I ordered red golden,but there were a few extras,so I'll find out what I got.Hopefully,some will be the ones I wanted.

Did they hatch?

I haven't tried hatching shipped pheasant eggs, but have done other birds (mostly ducks, some chickens and geese). My theory is that is really depends on the route the eggs take. Even when they look to be packed well and arrive undamaged, some just don't do well. I've come to this conclusion as a seller, too. I used to sell Sebastopol and American goose and Ancona duck eggs. I had excellent hatch rates at home and with local pickup, but mixed results when they were shipped. I packed them well and never had anyone say that there was shipping damage, but some people had great hatches and others were terrible. This is why I quit shipping eggs. No matter how many times you say it, some people still don't get how much of a risk it is.

So this is my update. I bought 12 and got 18. Of those,6 weren't fertile. I had 8 hatch. Unfortunately, we lost power when they were a week old. I lost another 3.
I have incubated everything from gouldians to geese,and raised them successfully, but these guys are giving me a run for the money. I won't be able to relax until they have their first molt. Right now,they're the most pampered pheasants on the planet.

Back
Top Bottom