Ebay & Paypal is PEEVING me OFF! RANT!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Up-the-Creek, May 17, 2009.

1. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Okay,... I have sold on Ebay for years off and on. I have never been a serious seller, just household stuff. Anyway, not too long ago i decided to open a new account and start selling again. Now when I sell anything and it goes into paypal, they put a hold on my money for 21 days or until the buyer leaves positive feedback or I can prove it was delivered! Okay I know the buyers need to be protected, but what is protecting the sellers??? Who is to say the buyer will say, Im not happy with it or they didnt get it when they did and the seller not get their money or the item back? Reason I am so peeved at this is because I sold my incubator on ebay and now they are holding my money and I am supposed to ship it out to some stranger in good faith?? And no I had no idea they would do this, I was never told before I listed anything. So am I just being totally over the top with this or do I have a ligitament gripe??? What would you all do??? Should I ship it and pray for an honest buyer or refund his money and explain why?? I know after this I am done with Ebay and Paypal. Any Ideas?????????????????? [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    My DH does some E-Bay stuff for his Dad. I have never heard mention of Pay Pal holding the $. We usually pay Dad right away so I don't think that is the case. I will ask him when he gets back from town. It doesn't seem right that you are suppose to trust the buyer but they can't trust you? [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Maybe it is because it is a new account. I have never encountered that problem with EBay. You really cannot blame paypal...sounds like it is EBay's thing.

4. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Yeah, I'm thinking it's just because you opened a new account and they are wanting to make sure you're legit and then that requirement will go away. I've gotten two Paypal payments very recently and they were in my account immediately after being sent (I've had that Paypal acct. for years).

5. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Ebay owns Paypal, blame one, blame the other. It just don't seem right that I have to be so trusting and not the buyer,..New account or not, just don't seem okay.

6. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    Well, if the buyer paid... you have to ship. But use a shipping service that you can track that it was received. That is your proof. You can even have them sign for it.

That does suck.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    It's their procedure now for new sellers. The thing that really sucks is if you sell something very large or heavy, as they hold the entire amount including the shipping. I sold a saddle and barely had the money to ship it after they did that [​IMG]

ETA If you send it via the Paypal shipping center using a method with confirmed delivery (e.g. Priority, or Express), the payment will clear within a couple of days of receipt, rather than three weeks later.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  8. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I manage an eBay store for a shoe store. When we first started selling Paypal put a hold on our $$ just like you say they are doing to you. I think once we hit a certain feedback number they stopped placing holds.

I would definitely make sure you ship with delivery/signature confirmation if you send it and strongly encourage the buyer to leave feedback ASAP.

I have heard stories about things going very wrong for sellers because of their every increasing "buyer" protection policies. They care nothing of the seller. Sad, because once they chase all the sellers away, eBay and Paypal both will likely cease to exist. If they keep going on this path, it may just happen. I use Paypal, but do not trust it. If someone where to lodge a complaint, even in the absence of a hold, if the money is not in your Paypal account I believe (have been told by others) that they can remove the money from you bank account to refund the buyer. I hope that is not the case, but that is what I have been told. And, of course, eBay has changed the rules so that only Paypal is allowed. They are definitely headed in the wrong direction and FAST.

9. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Quote:See that is something else, a lot of people has to have the money to ship the item,.. I just don't see the point in it all. I should have had my mother sell it for me then i wouldn't had to dealt with it. [​IMG]

10. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Here's my take, and it probably won't be a popular one. It is probably because it is a new account. There are so many people scamming these days it is incredible. But, there are good buyers too.

If you didn't know they were going to tie up your money, and you have to pay out of pocket for shipping something large and heavy, with no guarantee from paypal/ebay you will get your money (what if the buyer says they didn't get it, not as described, whatever) then you have to wait for the dispute to settle, etc. You, as a seller, can no longer leave any kind of bad feedback, even in a positive, cause they will delete it. If you don't plan on selling on ebay any more, and it is a new account, which you don't care about negative feedback, then I would contact the buyer and let them know what happened and tell them you decided not to sell it. Believe me, you won't be the first person to cancel a transaction, for whatever reason. I don't think ebay cares at all about their sellers anymore. It is all about the buyer. I used to sell on ebay for quite awhile, and had very good feedback. But, by the time they got through revamping it, raising fees, etc. I decided it just wasn't worth it anymore. You can always sell it here, on BYC, or on craigslist. (Just be careful on craigslist and don't let them come to your house, take cash only, etc.).

Good luck! I feel bad for you, believe me. You should have been told they would hold your money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by