Squeeing_Onion

Chirping
Jun 17, 2023
Edit: fixed typos, and thank you to the staff who moved my thread!

--

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I hope this was alright!

I'll get right to it: What is advice for a brand new poultry keeper, who has talked with exactly one seller (for quail in my case), on how to conduct themselves in asking the seller questions before deciding this is, indeed, the seller i want to buy live animals from?

I'm asking because i had a really stressful experience in a Facebook group for seeking quail. The seller was so polite and kind with me and my fumbling questions, answered all of them, i was so delighted and provided my info to confirm the order-- and then they laid into me for being rude!

At first i thought that was it, but then they went from telling me how it was very hurtful i asked certain questions as it made them feel like i was insulting their reputation -- to then trying to, i have no better way to explain it, bully me into paying them via a donate link instead of emailing me a PayPal invoice or sending their seller's send money page. (I flatly refuse to pay via Donate, it literally is against PayPal policy as i understand it, and it offers no buyer protection. I'm baffled why they would agree to send an invoice then berate me for asking right before payment.)

And honestly, right now, I can't tell if they ARE a scammer who is upset they can't manipulate me emotionally to just do the sale even though i have hesitation, or if i really overstepped that badly. I'm so new to this, even if I'm not new to sales. I just want to pay them for my order and be done with it already, or find another seller who isn't so mean and defensive.

So... As someone very new to all this, what advice would you give a new buyer who is looking to source sexed poultry from a seller that have never met before?

What are legitimate red flags?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

You don't want to deal with people that give you a hard time. If they come off arrogant, condescending, or even stand offish, go somewhere else.

Before purchasing poultry from anyone, always ask to see their facilities. Look around for cleanliness, birds that are kept well, do they look healthy, are they calm and bright eyed. What feed are they on, etc...

Ask how long they have been in business, why they like what they are doing, etc...

If people won't cooperate to show you their facilities or answer your questions, turn around and go home. People should want their birds to go to a good home and be just as curious about you as you are them. You want healthy birds, bottom line. If theirs look good, chances are you are getting good stock.

It does sound a little like a scam. The part about bullying you into paying via donate seems a bit off. Have you asked to look at their birds in real life or is it all digital? It's possible that they don't even rear birds and are just planning to take your money and run. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's very hard to report fraud if you pay by donate.

Can I ask what questions you asked? Just to see if they were all pretty reasonable ornif there was one that may have unintentionally hit a nerve for a buyer
Screenshot_20230617-165738-146.png

Before this, i had asked if they were NPIP certified, and various questions like where they were located (i thought they were aware i was looking for someone in driving distance so i was surprised when they said they were based in illinois), and if they would mind sending me photos of the birds before i confirmed the sale. I let them know i was scouting out who to purchase birds from.

I also asked how long they expected delivery might take if i placed the order this weekend.

What seemed to upset them was me asking if they were NPIP certified (they said yes and they've been in business for three years), and that i asked them to email me an invoice instead of having me send it via a username. I have had really bad experiences with that method, so i switched to PayPal invoices years ago and I've never had a seller balk at it.

I think they also misunderstood my comment on wanting to see pictures first; i meant that i wanted to see who I'd be buying before saying yes, but i think they took offense (which bakes me as i had asked for said photos and was trying hard to let them know i was serious about this sale, but that i want going to commit to it until i had the info i needed. I hate telling a buyer I want to buy only to change my mind when they reveal more info, it feels like I'm wasting their time and mine)

I'm leaning towards a scammer. Or a somehow profoundly stubborn and defensive person who takes everything personally.

Another seller it is, then!

View attachment 3545872

Before this, i had asked if they were NPIP certified, and various questions like where they were located (i thought they were aware i was looking for someone in driving distance so i was surprised when they said they were based in illinois), and if they would mind sending me photos of the birds before i confirmed the sale. I let them know i was scouting out who to purchase birds from.

I also asked how long they expected delivery might take if i placed the order this weekend.

What seemed to upset them was me asking if they were NPIP certified (they said yes and they've been in business for three years), and that i asked them to email me an invoice instead of having me send it via a username. I have had really bad experiences with that method, so i switched to PayPal invoices years ago and I've never had a seller balk at it.

I think they also misunderstood my comment on wanting to see pictures first; i meant that i wanted to see who I'd be buying before saying yes, but i think they took offense (which bakes me as i had asked for said photos and was trying hard to let them know i was serious about this sale, but that i want going to commit to it until i had the info i needed. I hate telling a buyer I want to buy only to change my mind when they reveal more info, it feels like I'm wasting their time and mine)

I'm leaning towards a scammer. Or a somehow profoundly stubborn and defensive person who takes everything personally.

I'd walk away from this one. They sound like they don't want any paper trail or anything that you could use against them. I say scammer.

It does sound a little like a scam. The part about bullying you into paying via donate seems a bit off. Have you asked to look at their birds in real life or is it all digital? It's possible that they don't even rear birds and are just planning to take your money and run. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's very hard to report fraud if you pay by donate.
I'm not sure about reporting for fraud, but i know what they were asking me to do is against PayPal policy as i understand it, and if you do it, you get no buyer protection.

Aka if they are a scam and you "donate" to them, you can try to talk to your bank or credit card company, but PayPal will offer you no help whatsoever.

People usually do this or "family and friends" money sending option, in order to dodge fees and/or taxes.

That alone is enough to make me weary, and as they haven't sent a proper invoice or a sellers link... I guess they don't want my business.

View attachment 3545872

I definitely would walk away from this one. And find a better seller who is willing to answer questions and do whatever they can to make you feel comfortable as a first time buyer.

Back
Top Bottom