Eclipse

Pics
_DSC9907.jpg

Clear, beautiful day here. I threw my phone across the road when it got started so I wouldn't be tempted to step out of the moment to take pictures. Fantastic decision, no regrets; I was fully experiencing it the whole time.

I'd been super excited and worked myself into a frenzy over this, setting myself up for disappointment, really. But even with my unchecked enthusiasm leading up to the eclipse, I have to admit every time I read or heard of someone else's experience with past total eclipses, a part of me thought of those people as overly emotional, hippy dippy types. And I couldn't understand all the folks saying it was indescribable - surely someone has enough proficiency with language to convey the experience? But darn it . . . I cried. I'm super embarrassed about it, but yeah, I cried. It felt like I was ripped out of myself, and I have absolutely no words that come even a fraction close to satisfactorily describing the experience. I thought for sure the folks saying 99.99 percent totality doesn't compare to complete totality were overstating the case a bit, but they were absolutely right, the experience is entirely different. It is absolutely worth the time, energy, and expense to experience totality once in your life. Today was amazing.

And don't even get me started on my poor chickens caught out in the woods when totality hit. I swear, the collective confusion was hilarious. And all the bats coming out to hunt in the middle of the day! One of the top experiences of my life, no question.

Two of my friends did manage to catch totality from their respective vantage points. Their photos are much better than anything I could manage, so I feel doubly good with tossing away my phone.

1000013965.jpg

For my friend contending with clouds, I thought it was interesting how much could be seen. The cloud cover diffused the light, so it never got as dark as the areas without clouds and he missed out on the 360 degree sunset, but the ring was still incredible by his account.

1000013964.jpg

It was mostly covered by clouds during totality :barnie:hitbut it was still cool to see the darkness suddenly take over, saw the 'diamond ring' and the Corona but they were only a few seconds before clouds covered them up, I finally just decided to watch instead of trying to get photos.

Some short videos during totality, the camera lens makes it look brighter than it actually was....there was a small plane flying over during totality!

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/932293621

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/932334830

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom