EcoGlow Chick Brooder

I also have both sizes of the @Brinsea EcoGlow and can't say enough about them! I've raised 4 batches of chicks with them and they are a GODSEND! No worries about fires, lights being on too long, raising or lowering heat lamps, buying extra bulbs or bulbs of different wattages, or using a lot of electricity! Plus, they are easy to clean. The chicks learn to regulate themselves, whether they go completely under it, lay toward the edge of it, or race around the remaining part of the brooder! The height can be adjusted easily and you can even place a piece of wood under one leg so that one side is higher than the other! I actually think that the radiant heat is better for the chicks instead of baking them under a heat lamp. Once the chicks are hopping on it, you can clean it off with a plastic ice scraper and then wipe it down with a lysol wipe. You won't be sorry if you buy an EcoGlow! They are fantastic! Remember to register yours right away and get an extra 2 year warranty. Also, Brinsea offers 10% off coupons if you "like" them on FB. Best of luck with your little fuzzy butts!

Thanks so much for the pics! So cute they are under there. Definately going to get them for this years chicks. How many did you have using it? I was going to get the size for 20 chicks as we'll be getting 6-10 ducklings for one of them and 15-20 chicks for the other one.

We bought one of these. It is absolutely wonderful and the chicks seem to love it. This is the first batch of chicks we've ever had and just hated the thought of a heat lamp in my house and the fire danger. This works great!

Count me as another supporter of the ecoglow!

We got 3 chicks.
ecoglow2.jpg

Then a week later we added 13 more.
spring2011046.jpg

When they were really little, I had a clear bin so I could lie down and peek under the ecoglow. *shame* :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Do they use the flexiwatt for the heat? I have never seen one in person. I was thinking about making my own with flexiwatt tape.

Quote:
Do they use the flexiwatt for the heat? I have never seen one in person. I was thinking about making my own with flexiwatt tape.

The whole underside of the yellow unit is heating plate. The chicks push their backs up against it, just like being under a momma hen. They have the whole surface under the EcoGlow. It's interesting to see how much heat they DON'T need - they run around, dash under it to warm up, run back out to do chickie things, go back under it when they need to warm up. I think it's so much more natural than heat lamps. After a while, they will settle just under the edge of the unit, and later congregate on top of it, but duck underneath when they need to warm up.

You can put your hand on the heating pad and not burn it. It's warm enough, but not too warm.

Back
Top Bottom