EcoGlow Chick Brooder

I love mine. Not a single complaint - the chicks are much happier too, like when a broody raises them.

I brood outdoors in a small coop and it's worked beautifully. I've had lows down to 38 and the chicks are great. They are feathering in fast too.

Do they use the flexiwatt for the heat? I have never seen one in person. I was thinking about making my own with flexiwatt tape.

Gota felling your on to something .But I aint gona open mine and void the warrenty to find out.And it probably is simular but not quiet.Cause flexwatt is either 110ac or 220 ac and eco-glo is 12dc...cva34

Definately get one we have the eco glow 50, And if your gonna get one buy direct from brinsea tehy have the best price anyway! watch for thier specials and you can get it on sale, Like thier Facebook page and you will know when they are gonna run a sale. My chicks just love the eco glow. the electric savings is really great too. We are gonna order 3 more for our other brooders!

So i'm getting ready to order my brooders but am wondering if the smaller one will really work for 17 chicks for the number of weeks they need supplemental heat? I think the smaller one will be fine for our 10 ducklings. But i'm just really unsure about fitting 17 chicks under the same size? But at the same time my funds are kinda limited and i have no idea how many years it will be before we use these again so i don't want to spend a fortune. I'm also not too sure the larger one will fit in the brooder ihad planned to use. So you all think the smaller one will be fine? I can always add a heat lamp if i have to.

I got my EcoGlow directly from Brinsea.com this week and fully intend to get another! It's actually on SALE right now for $49.99 AND through tomorrow, 2/19/12, they are offering another 10% off when you use the code 'Valentine' (capital V) at check out!!

I have always been troubled by the thought of something going wrong with the heat lamps and burning down the house, regardless of how carefully we hang it or how many different ways we tether it. I have been using my EcoGlow 20 for the past week and LOVE IT! I had a day-old chick I had to treat for spraddle leg this week and I wanted her nearby to keep an eye on her. I kept the other chicks in the basement under a heat lamp while I brought her upstairs under the EcoGlow with two friends to keep her company and I sure wish I had ordered the second one earlier!

After hatching countless batches of chicks and watching my broodies do their jobs often enough, I have come to the conclusion that baby chicks do not need as much constant heat as we are led to believe. I watch mama hens bring their babies outside for periods of time when the temps are nowhere near what I would think is acceptable for my brooder babies, but they appear content and I know that when they are cold, they will simply snuggle up to their mama hen. That's the same concept as the EcoGlow employs. The chicks regulate the amount of heat they need versus being put under a french fry lamp at the temperatures (even when away from the light) we think they need.
The EcoGlow is super easy to use, the chicks seem to love it and the peace of mind is priceless. Two thumbs up here!

IYou can see the EcoGlow in a YouTube video that I took of my little spraddle leg chick trying to walk to get under it (her little brooder buddies actually cheer her on, offering her bits of food as enticement to get there, it's too cute.).

THANK YOU! This is so what I have been looking for. 60 watts beat the pants off the 500 watts I'm using now. I just ordered the 50. 98 bucks, 29 shipping(ouch). They are 20 dollars off and a coupon for another 10% off. I'll take it.

Thanks! the pics are great. I went ahead and ordered 2 of the EcoGlow 20's. With them being in the house they'll need less supplemental heat than if i was keeping them someplace colder. I found the measurements of the stock tanks i was planning to use and the larger model was just going to be much too large.

Yah, I can't sing the praises of the ecoglow enough. And it's true about the heat - I had broodies take their chicks out in 30 degree weather and the chicks were fine, eating snow and stomping around, then dashing under mom to get warm every so often. My latest hatch is in a 60 degree room with their ecoglow - at three days old they are hardly ever under it except at night. And there's no "HELP ME I'M UNHAPPY" distress peeping, they are just flitting around and doing normal chick things. Not a one has pasty butt either. I've been using ecoglows for almost a year now and am convinced!

Another good thing - I had three spraddle legs as well in my last hatch, plus a bad bellybutton - and I just tucked them in back of the ecoglow (I have a 50 and it's huge!) - the other chicks can't see them too well so they weren't picked on while they were gaining their strength. Under a red light, where all can see? Little chicks can be brats. :p

Last edited:
Happy to help!
smile.png
Come on over to my Facebook page and share a pic when it's up and running!

THANK YOU! This is so what I have been looking for. 60 watts beat the pants off the 500 watts I'm using now. I just ordered the 50. 98 bucks, 29 shipping(ouch). They are 20 dollars off and a coupon for another 10% off. I'll take it.

Good for you! I just ordered my second one last night too. They make sense for so many reasons.

Thanks! the pics are great. I went ahead and ordered 2 of the EcoGlow 20's. With them being in the house they'll need less supplemental heat than if i was keeping them someplace colder. I found the measurements of the stock tanks i was planning to use and the larger model was just going to be much too large.

Back
Top Bottom