EcoGlow - Which Height Setting for 2-3 Week Old Chicks?

BekkiH

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 2, 2012
We brought home our 2-3 week old chicks on Saturday. They are doing well in a brooder in the basement with a 250w heat bulb. But we are worried about fire hazard, so we ordered the EcoGlow to replace it.

Which height setting would you use for chicks at this age? Mine could probably stand up under the middle setting, but are they meant to stand up? Or just lay down and snuggle?

Often times chicks that have not been raised under any type of brooder (such as a broody hen or EcoGlow) will probably not go underneath the brooder readily. They can be "trained" to use it.

The lowest setting is fine since they are just supposed to be in a squatted position (not standing) just like they would be underneath a broody hen. I keep mine on the lowest position throughout the entire 6 weeks. I will raise just one end up to the middle position and leave the other end on the lowest position if I have chicks of varying sizes (like Seramas with Orpingtons).

Because your chicks are a bit older, they will probably just sit on top of the EcoGlow. Even chicks raised underneath the EcoGlow from Day One will still choose to roost on top when they get to a certain age. I would advise you to put a sheet of shelving paper or plastic book cover (something that can be peeled off and removed) to keep the top of the EcoGlow clean. Even if you don't cover the top, it's still very easy to clean with just a little soap/water when you're done using it.

Good luck!
smile.png

Often times chicks that have not been raised under any type of brooder (such as a broody hen or EcoGlow) will probably not go underneath the brooder readily. They can be "trained" to use it.

The lowest setting is fine since they are just supposed to be in a squatted position (not standing) just like they would be underneath a broody hen. I keep mine on the lowest position throughout the entire 6 weeks. I will raise just one end up to the middle position and leave the other end on the lowest position if I have chicks of varying sizes (like Seramas with Orpingtons).

Because your chicks are a bit older, they will probably just sit on top of the EcoGlow. Even chicks raised underneath the EcoGlow from Day One will still choose to roost on top when they get to a certain age. I would advise you to put a sheet of shelving paper or plastic book cover (something that can be peeled off and removed) to keep the top of the EcoGlow clean. Even if you don't cover the top, it's still very easy to clean with just a little soap/water when you're done using it.

Good luck!
smile.png

Thanks!

My main concern is making sure they are warm enough. I worry that if they don't use it, they will just get cold. I will have to watch them closely for a while after we make the switch.

Also, this time of year you don't want them "too warm" since winter is coming up.
You want them to be hardy and grow their nice thick down feathers to keep themselves warm.
The EcoGlow brooder is a good choice since heat lamps can be too warm.
I tend to put my chicks outside in the garden shed with no heat when they're 4 weeks old.
They huddle together at night in a cardboard box to keep warm.
Obviously, the temp is not freezing in that shed (it's a shed built inside the pole barn).
By the time they're about 6 weeks old, they're able to join the rest of the flock outside.
I do monitor my chicks to see if any appear to be chilled.
If a chick is not moving much and stays fluffed up, it's too cold and add'l heat is provided.
I've never had that happen, but it's something to look for.

Also, this time of year you don't want them "too warm" since winter is coming up.
You want them to be hardy and grow their nice thick down feathers to keep themselves warm.
The EcoGlow brooder is a good choice since heat lamps can be too warm.
I tend to put my chicks outside in the garden shed with no heat when they're 4 weeks old.
They huddle together at night in a cardboard box to keep warm.
Obviously, the temp is not freezing in that shed (it's a shed built inside the pole barn).
By the time they're about 6 weeks old, they're able to join the rest of the flock outside.
I do monitor my chicks to see if any appear to be chilled.
If a chick is not moving much and stays fluffed up, it's too cold and add'l heat is provided.
I've never had that happen, but it's something to look for.

Thanks!
T
his is much of why I wanted to switch to the EcoGlow. That heat lamp keeps most of the brooder nice and toasty, but I wanted them to have some exposure to the cold gradually so they are tough and ready to go outside in a few weeks.

Keeping them in the basement helps, I believe, as it stays pretty cool down there. It's just a matter of finding the balance between cold enough to toughen up, and warm enough to stay alive.

This is my first time raising chicks, and of course I am doing it in the winter time! Ack!

Success!!!

I put the EcoGlow in this morning, one side set to the lowest height, the other set to the middle. I figured that a taller "entrance" on one side would encourage them to go under.

When I turned off the heat lamp, they got a little excited, but not panicky. They all huddled together to keep warm, but naturally, did not figure out the EcoGlow.

I took them one at a time and just slid them underneath. The first couple didn't budge after I put them in. They looked like they were in heaven and NOT going back. A couple of the bigger ones came back out, but changed their minds after a couple minutes.

Now they're all napping peacefully under the warmth of the EcoGlow. :) I'm SO glad I bought this, because I was worried about the heat lamp keeping them too warm. When they do move into the coop, it will be winter in NY. I want them to be prepared when the time comes!

Thanks for the advice!

I live in Central NY and have 35, 3 week old chicks with the ecoglow 50. They currently are in the basement and hopefully by this weekend will be out in the new mobile coop,with a heat lamp. I've read that the ecoglow doesn't work right if the temps are below 50F that is why I will use the heat lamp. Right now I have my ecoglow 1inch from the highest setting and they seem fine. More of them sit on top than go below and they have been this way for a week. I want them to get use to the cooler temps so they will feather earlier and have heavier feathers before it gets to cold out. They are feathering nicely. I am wondering if I can build a styrofoam box for the coop with the egoglow inside it and have it work, anyone try this?

Hello, I haven't tried the ecoglow inside and insulated coop, but it sounds like a great idea. I will keep on reading this post. I just ordered my ecoglow 20 and looking forward to using it!

Back
Top Bottom