edible?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sethsleader, Apr 30, 2009.

1. sethsleader

sethsleader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    Ive got four hybrid egg layers that are 30 odd weeks, we only plan to keep them for two years and after that it will be the chop for them and replaced with new egg layers. The question is can i eat a two year old bird?
    Waste not want not after all![​IMG]

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I wouldn't but thats only me. If I was to do as you are, I would eat them, you may have to stew them, but hey, its all for nutrition!

3. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Sure you can eat them. But, if you don't stew them, you'll probably be chewing for a long time.

4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Yep you can eat them, but plan for a crock pot dinner.

5. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Quote:Like any older meat. Low and slow. Will be tougher but some find it much more flavorful.

6. sethsleader

sethsleader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    I was thinking a good 8 hour curry! Hmmmmmmmmm Saying that I'm yet to do the deed but that was supposed to be the plan!![​IMG]

7. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I have friends who sell their old hens to very happy Asians because the tougher meat works better for some of their recipes.
    It's really a luxury that we *only* eat fresh, young chickens. Most of the world eats what's available.

8. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    pressure cook,for about 40 minutes in lots of liquid,makes the worlds best dumplings,,,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by