Edited: Big Liver Spleen/ Graphic Photos

I would get a necropsy if you lose the second bird. I would also suspect a cancer-causing virus such as Mareks or lymphoid leukosis. Even with vaccination for Mareks, chick can still get it in the first 2 weeks of life it they are exposed to an environment where Mareks is common. Leukosis is less likely to affect the whole flock as Mareks can. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you. I have my lab information and materials to ship it at the ready.

I would get a necropsy if you lose the second bird. I would also suspect a cancer-causing virus such as Mareks or lymphoid leukosis. Even with vaccination for Mareks, chick can still get it in the first 2 weeks of life it they are exposed to an environment where Mareks is common. Leukosis is less likely to affect the whole flock as Mareks can. Sorry for your loss.
She passed away on Monday and was sent to the Bronson lab for a necropsy. Vet called me a little while ago and said there was nothing remarkable that she had found. So this one didn't have the big liver and spleen. When I told her about the first one, she said the histopathology screen would show more definitive results. Possibly Marek's :he 🤯 but I can't believe that. They didn't show symptoms of Marek's and the first one to die was vaccinated supposedly. I should know mid-week next week what the histopathology shows. If it is Marek's I'll be done.

Just received the report which I pasted a section of below. She says Marek's first and as a possible second, Lymphoid Leukosis. The first pullet to die was vaccinated for Marek's. I'm going with the second possibility, Lymphoid Leukosis. Either way and now with a fowl pox event unfolding, I'm finished as a hobby business.

Microscopic findings in this chicken are most consistent with a lymphoproliferative disease such as Marek’s. Marek's disease is a herpesvirus induced disease characterized by infiltration of nerves and other organs with pleomorphic lymphocytes and/or lymphoma. Marek’s disease is seen most commonly in birds < I year old. Strict biosecurity and proper vaccination at a very young age is recommended. Another less likely differential is lymphoid leukosis. Lymphoid leukosis
Accession Number: K2112275 Final (9/27/2021) Page 1 of 3
is caused by certain members of the leukosis/sarcoma group of avian retroviruses. Eradication of avian leukosis virus from primary breeding stocks is the most effective means to control avian leukosis virus infection and lymphoid leukosis in chickens.

Question. What are you feeding them???

Enlarged liver is also associated with various dietary issues. The first one you opened up, did you find a significant quantity of fat (particularly hard fatty nodules) in the organ cavity? How about subcutaneous?

(NOT to disagree with the very experienced Wyorp Rock, Eggcessive, etc - but with the clinical findings being less than definitive, suggesting a wider net might be worthwhile if only to eliminate those potentials as well. FWIW, I'm leaning LL myself.)

I had a CL pullet about the same age just die a week or so ago with enlarged liver, spleen and kidneys, just as yours had. While I haven't had any other deaths, I am suspicious of LL and am wondering if this is a problem in Legbar breeding stock. Mine originated from McMurray hatchery, and was also vaccinated for Marek's disease.
I don’t think susceptibility runs in a particular line or breed but resistance does. Yesterday I had read on a thread that maybe CL were more resistant in the person’s particular flock. A large hatchery probably had LL but also probably has resistance. I’m guessing about that though.

Question. What are you feeding them???

Enlarged liver is also associated with various dietary issues. The first one you opened up, did you find a significant quantity of fat (particularly hard fatty nodules) in the organ cavity? How about subcutaneous?

(NOT to disagree with the very experienced Wyorp Rock, Eggcessive, etc - but with the clinical findings being less than definitive, suggesting a wider net might be worthwhile if only to eliminate those potentials as well. FWIW, I'm leaning LL myself.)
I’m going to try to eliminate everything possible so thank you for your post. I’m attaching a second photo as a thumbnail. Warning it is graphic. It doesn’t show a lot of fat. I feed Purina Layena and Flock Raiser. The first to die was on the first and the second was just five months old so she was still in Flock Raider.

Attachments

• 1026FA60-36E8-4074-A8ED-CF033AF21B4E.jpeg
    1026FA60-36E8-4074-A8ED-CF033AF21B4E.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 5
I don’t think susceptibility runs in a particular line or breed but resistance does. Yesterday I had read on a thread that maybe CL were more resistant in the person’s particular flock. A large hatchery probably had LL but also probably has resistance. I’m guessing about that though.
Resistance does not mean that it can't be passed through the eggs, which is my chief concern. It would be a big problem if major breeders of Cream Legbars had stock that was infected with lymphoid leukosis, since that would mean that the chicks they are selling have a high probability of being infected as well.

Back
Top Bottom