Edited: Big Liver Spleen/ Graphic Photos

Araucana Nest

FreeBird
Aug 14, 2020
North Central Florida
One Cream Legbar pullet from a my pet chicken order last year began to get a pale comb in July. She had an empty crop when I picked her up. Lethargic. Wasn’t eating. I thought it was bullying since she was the youngest in her flock and took her out of the pen so she could be quiet and eat when she wanted but she got progressively weaker and died. Wouldn’t eat. Clean vent. Poop was green and white. I opened her up and she had a long and large liver and enlarged spleen. I hadn’t seen that before. She was just at a year old. Had been laying fine until the last few weeks.

I have another pullet now that is showing the same symptoms. She will be sent for necropsy to properly understand what is going on. I don’t expect her to live. She is only four months old. I’ve quarantined that whole area which is fortunately removed from most of my flocks.
Since my reading has made me think of Helatitis E I’m wondering if anyone here has dealt with it and if it is known to have vertical transmission? I’d like to know how it ended up here.

I don’t think the second hen got it from the egg. She was hatched by her mother who was healthy and vigorous. Different flock different pen but I’m curious if it is Hep E if it is transmitted to egg?

The first pullet was beside the pen of the pullet that is now sick and we’ve had a lot of rain and the water flows down toward the second coop so I need to rearrange to prevent that. Everyone in that area is quarantined for now as I get answers … thanks in advance for help and advice.

Attachments

• 43CD4B7F-2DE4-48C0-B235-98FD883E9DAD.jpeg
    43CD4B7F-2DE4-48C0-B235-98FD883E9DAD.jpeg
    488.7 KB · Views: 41
  • C7942673-2A36-4074-8231-55E14499696B.jpeg
    C7942673-2A36-4074-8231-55E14499696B.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I would get a necropsy if you lose the second bird. I would also suspect a cancer-causing virus such as Mareks or lymphoid leukosis. Even with vaccination for Mareks, chick can still get it in the first 2 weeks of life it they are exposed to an environment where Mareks is common. Leukosis is less likely to affect the whole flock as Mareks can. Sorry for your loss.

Just received the report which I pasted a section of below. She says Marek's first and as a possible second, Lymphoid Leukosis. The first pullet to die was vaccinated for Marek's. I'm going with the second possibility, Lymphoid Leukosis. Either way and now with a fowl pox event unfolding, I'm finished as a hobby business.

Microscopic findings in this chicken are most consistent with a lymphoproliferative disease such as Marek’s. Marek's disease is a herpesvirus induced disease characterized by infiltration of nerves and other organs with pleomorphic lymphocytes and/or lymphoma. Marek’s disease is seen most commonly in birds < I year old. Strict biosecurity and proper vaccination at a very young age is recommended. Another less likely differential is lymphoid leukosis. Lymphoid leukosis
Accession Number: K2112275 Final (9/27/2021) Page 1 of 3
is caused by certain members of the leukosis/sarcoma group of avian retroviruses. Eradication of avian leukosis virus from primary breeding stocks is the most effective means to control avian leukosis virus infection and lymphoid leukosis in chickens.

This is very mild, in fact it looks like he is already healing. I have had dry fowl pox sweep through my flock almost every summer except for this one and it had never claimed any birds. It can make some look pretty ugly for a bit with the sores and scabs on their faces but never leaves any permanent damage. And the good thing is that they are immune to it for the rest of their lives. :)
Thank you. He just developed this from yesterday afternoon to the morning.... he is such a sweet boy.

A state vet called me just now and offered his number and help if I need him. That was so nice.

Back
Top Bottom