EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Danged screwy birds! All 6 layers have been freeloading since it's gotten consistently cold (short daylight hasn't historically affected egg production all that much); been getting 1 egg a day, if that. Been going a week at a time recently with none at all. Now, this morning, I get 3 eggs all at once. I guess tomorrow we'll be back to 0. :idunno

Was getting about three pullet eggs a day, then the hay bale they were laying on was used, wasn't finding any more eggs. I setup a bale of straw in a way they might like, one pullet was there this morning. Hopefully they will sort using that spot.

Back from the US. The rooster is dead, which is awesome because now I can work on making the birds healthy before I consider replacing him with a friendlier roo or anything. Our soon-to-be neighbor is having to sell some of his birds and he raises show birds (I'm currently eyeing his Silkie and a few of his Marans) so I can check out his roosters he has and ask him if he has one that's a good boyfriend to his hens.

Got new soap molds while in the US and some nice fragrances. I got inspired by @Akrnaf2 and the amazing soaping and beauty traditions in the Middle East to make a Dead Sea Clay soap with laurel berry oil like in Aleppo soap. Need a name for it though, so any thoughts are appreciated! Also working on a Valentine's Day soap with lavender essential oil; the design will be really simple, only a white background with a single blush pink heart. Just SO much exciting stuff in store!

Baby is doing great and the whole family is so much more relaxed and happy after our visit to Texas. My mom and I finally got Honeybee established in a routine and he's much better now that he's recovered and adjusted to everything. He got spoiled rotten by his grandparents and had lots of new clothes and toys to bring home! Having him in a routine means I can schedule housework, blogging, soaping, and cooking around his naps and the routine finally got him sleeping long stretches at night. He almost sleeps through the whole night now! I'm actually able to get enough rest to feel good during the day again.

While we were gone, my father in law and all our contractor friends demolished Opa's house so we begin prepping to pour the slab as soon as everyone finishes carting off the debris. We're still working out design details for the rooms; I originally wanted to have the same materials throughout the house to make everything cohesive, but now I'm making changes based on certain rooms and their needs. For example, we have a white wood finish on the cabinets with a dark stone-finish Dekton countertop and wood-finish ceramic tiles on the whole ground floor. However, I figured out that if I paired that with the off-white tile walls we're putting in the bathroom (the WHOLE room is tiled) it'll end up looking too surgical. Instead, we're replacing the white wood finish with a high gloss white and the dark countertop with a blonde wood finish (like what we have in the nursery now). As for the bedrooms, I'm feeling white and espresso brown but we'll see when we go and pick finishes. It's exciting building our very first house, and I'm sure Honeybee will have many fond memories there with the dogs and his eventual brother or sister!
Welcome Back!

Exactly!
We provide them all the food & fresh water they ,free medical care, & keep a roof over their heads year 'round. Who's the dumb animal here?
In domestication of animals the HUMAN are the one that found themselves stuck in houses, working from sunrise to sundown in the fields in back breaking works to cultivate the plants and animals instead of traveling light and free, killing a mamuth once or twice a year and having fun all the rest of the time, while the cultivated plants and animals became MUCH MUCH more numerous then their wild ancestors! The red jungle fowl would never get to be 19 billions as chicken are! So in practical point of view the animals and plant domesticated US! Not my Idea but the Idea of professor Noah Harari
Read this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapiens:_A_Brief_History_of_Humankind

Last edited:
Hello hatch-a-renos!
Hope everybody is well..
We have been in the 30's at night but the real stuff comes tonight.
It is warmer than what they predicted yesterday. The guy said teens. I'll settle for the 25° the changed it too. Maybe Trump can build us a wall at the Florida line so you guys can't share the air no more.
Firewood is my best friend right now. You guys are next in line..
Screenshot_2018-01-16-13-57-27.png

Warm days but plunges after sundown.. rollercoaster effect.

Hello hatch-a-renos!
Hope everybody is well..
We have been in the 30's at night but the real stuff comes tonight.
It is warmer than what they predicted yesterday. The guy said teens. I'll settle for the 25° the changed it too. Maybe Trump can build us a wall at the Florida line so you guys can't share the air no more.
Firewood is my best friend right now. You guys are next in line..
View attachment 1238073
Warm days but plunges after sundown.. rollercoaster effect.
Are those usual temp for January? It reminds Ouer!

Back
Top Bottom