EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Hey, I have a quick question.
I ordered about 30 eggs off of eBay about 2 weeks ago. Today is day 9 and the air sacs look very funky. Some are straddled all the way across, others are just reaching low in certain spots. I believe this happened due to bad shipping because the eggs were shipped on their sides.
:barnie
Does anyone have experience with this or know if it affects the hatch rate, if so how bad?
They may have just been bumped around more this trip. The conveyer belt doesn’t read and most places are automated. Have you tried hatching eggs upright instead of laying down? That is what I do to all eggs shipped or not.

They may have just been bumped around more this trip. The conveyer belt doesn’t read and most places are automated. Have you tried hatching eggs upright instead of laying down? That is what I do to all eggs shipped or not.
The eggs were shipped laying down. I have a gqf cabinet so they turn being mostly upright.
Do you mean having the last 3 days upright or the whole hatch? I usually do them all laying down the last 3 days

The eggs were shipped laying down. I have a gqf cabinet so they turn being mostly upright.
Do you mean having the last 3 days upright or the whole hatch? I usually do them all laying down the last 3 days
Yes upright the whole hatch. With chickens it seems to work out better for me especially if they have saddled air cells. Not sure about quail.

It's Day 10 here & I just candled the 8 Orpington eggs in the bator. I only saw 1 developing the last time I candled, so I was happily surprised to see 5 moving around tonight and 1 that looks like it stopped developing but I am not sure so I left it. There was also 1 clear and 1 blood ring. So it looks like I have 1 each of jubilee, partridge, lavender, chocolate and lemon cuckoo. Now to see if I can candle the broody's eggs...

My EE hen started going broody today too and would not get out of the nest box where the other hen is sitting. I am not letting the EE hatch eggs though cause she is aggressive to us & I don't like her so she is getting broken! As soon as the little ones hatch, the EE hen is going on Craigslist...

Nope, because I was trying to find a more humane way of doing it that didn't involve bloodshed, and my husband took pity on me and said "fine, you catch the stupid things, and I'll do the dirty work."

So, we butchered the ones who wouldn't allow us to pick them up or acted threatening to me, or the kids when they went to grab the roosters.

We have 2 silkies with the silkies, a silkie/cochin cross in the silkie pen that we allowed to stay, they all allowed us to pick them up.

Mr. Roo, and Ging where allowed to stay, along with a full sized Cochin rooster/EE cross that hatched and was broody raised last year. He won't let you touch him, but he's over a year old now and runs away from people. He doesn't see us as a threat and won't act aggressive to people, he just doesn't like being touched.

I kept my Alpha EE roo, He's been the best rooster ever. He's very good to his girls and while he's not a fan of being touched, he doesn't attack people.

I had to butcher two purebred EE roosters that were white, because they wouldn't stay out of my silkie pen and were hurting my girls in there.

I butchered 2 black silkie roosters. They were fine, but I just had too many silkie roosters. For some reason, I end up with like 80% male silkies when I hatch them :/

I also butchered 1 EE/Leghorn rooster cross, and 2 black/orange EE roosters who were assholes. One of those were the ones who attacked me non stop.
So tomorrow is grill day?
4762666621_08e0aa5662.jpg

Back
Top Bottom