EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Where I live, Ohio, we do, I'm certain Montana would have that last, too. Generally here the neighbor gets a warning to control their dogs, they were bothering my livestock/poultry then they can be shot next time.
Thanks for answering.
Do you have to issue the warning or it must come from the police/sherrif department?

Do you have the legal right to shoot them in a case like this?
The law is actually vague, and courts go both ways. It's rather unusual for a rural, agricultural state. I could very well be sued and lose. I like the dogs; it would be a shame to harm them because their owners are irresponsible. I learned that lesson myself: my dogs were poisoned after eating gophers that were in the neighboring field. One died and the other was in the vet hospital for a week. We made the effort to keep him from wandering after that.

The law is actually vague, and courts go both ways. It's rather unusual for a rural, agricultural state. I could very well be sued and lose. I like the dogs; it would be a shame to harm them because their owners are irresponsible. I learned that lesson myself: my dogs were poisoned after eating gophers that were in the neighboring field. One died and the other was in the vet hospital for a week. We made the effort to keep him from wandering after that.
I agree that the dog has no responsibility, they are acting according to theirs instinct, but this fact doesn't matter to a person that his live stock or even worse, his children have been hurt by them.

The laws vary by state. My state just recently strengthened an over century old law and goes so far as stating one has the right to kill dogs 'worrying livestock' wherever they find them. Theoretically, I could track dogs attacking my chickens across the state and kill them wherever I find them except in a pen on their owners' property.
I take the extra step to warn the owner - once.
I always call animal control and have them take possession of the dog/s which then have to be bailed out of dog jail by the owners for letting them roam free. And I let the owner and animal control know, next time, the dog will disappear.
I'm sure people will try to sue for killing their dog but they have no legal standing.
A few years ago, one of those daytime court shows featured a case where someone was suing a man for killing his dog after the dog attacked his chickens. He sued for thousands of dollars for both the value of the dog and pain and suffering for the trauma. After calmly hearing both sides, the judge dismissed the case saying the man was protecting his property and the dog owner had no legal recourse.

That surprises me, I would think Montana would have very clear laws concerning animals bothering livestock.

The dogs that do wander here are far too old to be bothersome. More like coyote food than anything. However years past dogs were shot for just that. Neighbors had a few head of cattle and someone let their dogs wander. Times have changed here but if the wandering dogs change to vicious ones the neighbors will get a warning.

Back
Top Bottom