EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

I run into this at times with serama and LF in same bator

I wait until day 15 and I will add the serama to a container with holes burned in the lid, and add a small cut sponge to up humidity in just that container, I have never had issues doing that.

never took pics but these may help you get the idearrrrr

So even different sized eggs (bantam vs Large breed) have different humidity requirements? I have some eggs that are smaller than others, in this batch brewing~ I hope they will be ok. My first bator batch on my own, in a new bator, I guess we shall see how it goes.

Also I have 2 Turkey eggs in there with them, I thought I was seeing veins in them but perhaps just an illusion? I hope they hatch cause now that one of my dogs figured out she was laying in the berry bushes, my dog goes in there and shoes her off the nest to eat her egg! :{ Makes me mad!

I'm at day 20.. one of my egg has already piped internally.. it has cracked the shell but the white membrane didn't seem to pierce.. (it has been 3hours)
My question is, how much the oxygen in the aircell will last ?
I don't want to help but if it only means piercing the membrane I would..

[COLOR=333333]I'm at day 20.. one of my egg has already piped internally.. it has cracked the shell but the white membrane didn't seem to pierce.. (it has been 3hours)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]My question is, how much the oxygen in the aircell will last ?   [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]I don't want to help but if it only means piercing the membrane I would.. [/COLOR]

The oxygen should last long enough for it to come back and finish the pip. I had one like that, and it hatched fine.

My hatch that was coinciding with Banty's is turning out poorly
sad.png
they all seemed to develop slowly the last week or so of incubation...temp must have been off. Except the one is already out and in the brooder for over 24hrs now...another had internally pip'd and I checked them all before I might lose them (the shell of the one was incredibly hard)... the one insternal pip had rotated over night without breaking the shell anymore and suffocated
sad.png
I heard him cheeping too, and thought he's freeing himself that's what the noise was about...I had the puppy in my room last night and dreaded getting up for any reason as it meant potty trip...now I'm kicking myself for being selfish, I coulda saved that chick...another passed as well, it's brain wasn't in its head! And an eye wasn't fully formed plus malshaped beak...how did it make it to hatch day is beyond me. 2 left. One looks small, the other looks right on schedule now... put some Vit E oil on its exposed membrane since its all I have that shouldn't be harmful but keep it moist.
Oh my gosh, I wonder how that chick that was so malformed got as far as it did. Was the Yolk absorbing, I ask because is it an indication of how long they developed for, i.e. 18 days or 20 days along? Do you know what breed it was going to be, or anything about its lineage that could possibly help identify the cause such a major deformation?

I have 2 hens and a roo (BCM). They will probably just go in the freezer. I may keep the wheaten Marans hen that I have just for the layer flock or possibly for olive eggers.
Why is it that you dont care for in them? I might be interested in eggs if you ship. Hell, I'd take the trio if I weren't so dang far away from ya! I have been wanting to get my self some decent dark egg layers, also some decent true blue layers! I love Variety

Back
Top Bottom