EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

A 10% hatch rate is very concerning, even at elevation.

Dead embryos from day 7-17 can have several causes.
According to the University of Florida they are as follows.
1. Improper incubator temperature, humidity, turning, ventilation. Low humidity increases abnormalities of aortic arches (13 days).
2. Contamination.
3. Nutritional deficiencies in the breeder flock-- riboflavin, vitamin B12, biotin, niacin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, phosphorus, boron, or linoleic acid

I feel that when proper humidity is a serious concern that a better approach would be to weigh eggs rather than focus on humidity. The goal with humidity is to achieve a specific weight loss. The most accurate way to achieve that is with a scale and not a hygrometer.
I will weigh when setting and weekly. You can make a chart to make sure you are losing about 0.65% per day regardless of which day you weigh for chicken eggs.
For other species, it is similar weight loss. About 13-15% during the entire incubation period. It is just the per day rate that will change.
A small pocket gram scale is sufficient and that's what I did for years but over the winter I bought a bigger scale so I could weigh whole trays of eggs as well as chicks and adult birds if necessary. The pocket gram scales I've used have been accurate and inexpensive.
If buying a larger scale, don't waste your money on the majority of kitchen scales you find at the likes of Target or Walmart. Those I've tried were basically junk with poor repeatability.
The one I bought was the My Weigh KD8000. It didn't break the bank but is amazingly accurate. I also bought a 10 gram calibration weight and it is spot on every time. When a 8000 gram capacity scale can accurately measure 10 grams with perfect repeatability, that is a good scale.
https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-kd8000.html

https://www.pasreform.com/en/knowledge/86/optimal-weight-loss-profiling-during-incubation
https://poultryperformanceplus.com/information-database/incubation/283-weight-loss-during-incubation
As for your hatch rate, it could be an elevation issue but after reading about your temperature settings, I think temperature rather than humidity is the likely problem.
The incutherm is supposed to be accurate to within +/- 1°F but given your results, it could be way off. It is either the thermometer or the incubator.
I've discovered 3 thermometers that are even more accurate and also won't break the bank.
For years, I recommended the Brinsea Spot Check (bought from Brinsea so you know it is authentic as there have been knockoffs).
I also love the speed and precision of the calibratable thermoworks RT301WA. Mine hasn't needed calibration.
https://www.thermoworks.com/RT301WA
The newest one I recommend if you have a smart phone is the Govee Bluetooth H5074 thermometer/hygrometer. Both features are incredibly accurate.
https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Bluetooth-Temperature/dp/B07R586J37

I would start with temperature, then humidity by weighing, making sure the turning is adequate and verify ventilation. I've even gone so far as to use an aquarium air pump to bring in air but I don't know how much that will help in a thin air environment.
I hope all this helps.

Pretty area. The last time I was in CO, I stayed in Fairplay (i.e. South Park) and skied in Monarc
A 10% hatch rate is very concerning, even at elevation.

Dead embryos from day 7-17 can have several causes.
According to the University of Florida they are as follows.
1. Improper incubator temperature, humidity, turning, ventilation. Low humidity increases abnormalities of aortic arches (13 days).
2. Contamination.
3. Nutritional deficiencies in the breeder flock-- riboflavin, vitamin B12, biotin, niacin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, phosphorus, boron, or linoleic acid

I feel that when proper humidity is a serious concern that a better approach would be to weigh eggs rather than focus on humidity. The goal with humidity is to achieve a specific weight loss. The most accurate way to achieve that is with a scale and not a hygrometer.
I will weigh when setting and weekly. You can make a chart to make sure you are losing about 0.65% per day regardless of which day you weigh for chicken eggs.
For other species, it is similar weight loss. About 13-15% during the entire incubation period. It is just the per day rate that will change.
A small pocket gram scale is sufficient and that's what I did for years but over the winter I bought a bigger scale so I could weigh whole trays of eggs as well as chicks and adult birds if necessary. The pocket gram scales I've used have been accurate and inexpensive.
If buying a larger scale, don't waste your money on the majority of kitchen scales you find at the likes of Target or Walmart. Those I've tried were basically junk with poor repeatability.
The one I bought was the My Weigh KD8000. It didn't break the bank but is amazingly accurate. I also bought a 10 gram calibration weight and it is spot on every time. When a 8000 gram capacity scale can accurately measure 10 grams with perfect repeatability, that is a good scale.
https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-kd8000.html

https://www.pasreform.com/en/knowledge/86/optimal-weight-loss-profiling-during-incubation
https://poultryperformanceplus.com/information-database/incubation/283-weight-loss-during-incubation
As for your hatch rate, it could be an elevation issue but after reading about your temperature settings, I think temperature rather than humidity is the likely problem.
The incutherm is supposed to be accurate to within +/- 1°F but given your results, it could be way off. It is either the thermometer or the incubator.
I've discovered 3 thermometers that are even more accurate and also won't break the bank.
For years, I recommended the Brinsea Spot Check (bought from Brinsea so you know it is authentic as there have been knockoffs).
I also love the speed and precision of the calibratable thermoworks RT301WA. Mine hasn't needed calibration.
https://www.thermoworks.com/RT301WA
The newest one I recommend if you have a smart phone is the Govee Bluetooth H5074 thermometer/hygrometer. Both features are incredibly accurate.
https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Bluetooth-Temperature/dp/B07R586J37

I would start with temperature, then humidity by weighing, making sure the turning is adequate and verify ventilation. I've even gone so far as to use an aquarium air pump to bring in air but I don't know how much that will help in a thin air environment.
I hope all this helps.

Pretty area. The last time I was in CO, I stayed in Fairplay (i.e. South Park) and skied in Monarch.
Great response. Thanks!! I have always felt like weighing the eggs was way more labor intensive than I want to be but the more I read I may need to do that to work through the hatch rate issues I am having. That Govee Bluetooth H5074 looks pretty cool.

Agreed. When one continually has poor hatch rates, they have to look at every possible cause.
All eggs are not created equal meaning that humidity isn't a set number One species/breed/strain of eggs can lose weight at much different rates than others. Pairing a scale with an accurate hygrometer, one can determine the correct RH% for your eggs over time. Then you can revert to just regulating humidity.

Well, one of my worst nightmares came true yesterday. One of the neighbors' hens was in the yard again and she was sneezing, had discharge from her nose, and her eyes were swollen. I finally got my hands on her this morning and tossed her (gently) back over the fence. I may have gone a little overboard washing my hands and forearms where I touched her and then following it up with a ton of hand sanitizer. Fun stuff. I don't think she's been in contact with my chicks, but I'm keeping an eye on them anyway.

On the bright side, the pigs dug up a nearly 130-year-old key. It's the original house key and it can still turn the lock on the back door.

I know it is your neighbor's responsibility to keep their animals on their property but is there anything you can do on your side to prevent that incursion onto your property?
Have you complained?
Congratulations on the key. That is great. I know, my house was built in 1903.

Great response. Thanks!! I have always felt like weighing the eggs was way more labor intensive than I want to be but the more I read I may need to do that to work through the hatch rate issues I am having. That Govee Bluetooth H5074 looks pretty cool.
If you have the right kind of scale, you can weigh an entire egg tray at a time which saves labor.
I love the Govee sensors.
It is a real relief to have such accurate data that is stored on my phone and I don't even need to look at the incubators. As long as I'm in the right end of the house or a short distance outside, I can track everything more closely. I'm sure it is improving my hatches.

I know it is your neighbor's responsibility to keep their animals on their property but is there anything you can do on your side to prevent that incursion onto your property?
Have you complained?
Congratulations on the key. That is great. I know, my house was built in 1903.
I've done pretty much all I can to keep them out. I've complained, but these are the same people that wouldn't do anything about their roaming dogs until several people (myself included) threatened to shoot the dogs. Animal control refused to do anything about them. The only good they've done is shoot the coyote that's been killing my cats.

Speaking of being a while......

How y'all doing up that way? Managing to keep the virus at bay?
Howdy whites. A lot of services are still closed down, but it seems to be approaching normalcy here, or at least some form of it; one involving wearing masks to every public gathering!
I won't lie, I have been taking social isolation to a slightly more severe extent than is required. This is the one time in my life that I will have a government-sanctioned reason to avoid people ;)

Howdy whites. A lot of services are still closed down, but it seems to be approaching normalcy here, or at least some form of it; one involving wearing masks to every public gathering!
I won't lie, I have been taking social isolation to a slightly more severe extent than is required. This is the one time in my life that I will have a government-sanctioned reason to avoid people ;)
Lot to be said for that.

Back
Top Bottom