Educational Program For Children

ChickieBerryFarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 9, 2010
Southern Indiana
Hi!

In a few weeks, I have offered to do "chicken presentation" at my niece's school...I am so excited. I am going to bring one of my laying hens and a chick to show the children...as well as samples of food, supplements, treats, etc. I am also going to bring photos.

I printed off the picture of the chicken anatomy...is it okay to use this? Also, I would like to print off some of the pictures of Tudy for them to color.

Do you have any other suggestions or material that might be helpful?

Thank you so much!
celebrate.gif

Kids love to feel they 'own' what they're learning about. If you can get some colored photos of different breeds of chickens, on card-sized paper, that should be fun. Give each child a chicken card, and ask them to give the chicken a name, and write it on the card, such as, " Henny Penny, Maria's hen", or "Doodle, Mike's rooster". They'll love it.

I asked my granddaughter's preschool teacher if I could do the same as you, but the rules for preschools here in Florida are, NO animals of any kind at the school. Bummer - how will they learn?

Thank you so much! I think I am going to print the entire thing off and give each child a page to color.

I can't tell you how excited I am about doing this...I think it's really important to educate the children. My chicken experience has been so beneficial for my niece...and me!

Eventually, my goal is to talk our local zoo...I'm not a big zoo fan...but I'd like to see if they would entertain the idea of having a chicken display in the petting area for the children. No need to have any rooties and all of the eggs could be donated to our local food pantry. All of the waste could be used as fertilizer for their botanical gardens...it's a win win! Right now, they have those mini horses, goats, and donkeys. They could be doing so much more with that space. Anyway, sorry to ramble...but that's my silly dream...lol!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom