EE, Ameracuana, Araucana...huh?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
I guess one of those is a pure breed and the others are cross breeds? I'm just wondering what I have...she's 6 months old and laying nice blue eggs...

102_5471.jpg

she is very pretty.. do I detect a little bit of small wattles on her?
I do like her coloring very much.. I have 2 EE's hens and a roo that looks much like your girl.. and I have ameracauna roo. still getting him girls. I want to really track them as breeds. to see the differences and if there is enough difference that one is better than the other... so far I have not been disappointed in the EE's for their personalities, intelligence and they have been very hardy in this horrible hot summer.

)O(
Pink

Pretty EE girl! You can sort of consider EEs their own category breed-wise. They're not necessarily crosses or hybrids, but not necessarily purebred. That's why there's so much confusion around them. Most of the time hatcheries maintain their own EE stock for generations, only crossing them out with other breeds in order to enhance color, intensify egg hue, and or to increase egg production.

The confusion comes when you consider that EEs have no standardization, or anyone developing for genetic purity. So it's completely within the 'rules' to crossbreed a 'pure' EE with another breed entirely, and still call the babies EE.

The ideal EE has all of the following features, but can STILL be considered EE if they retain even just one: Pea comb, willow to slate colored legs, lays blue or green eggs, carries an upright tail, and a muff.

That being said, your bird pretty much has everything except the muff, so she's pretty close to 'ideal'. I'd suspect your hatchery focused more on egg production and didn't mind the loss of the muff.

She's a gorgeous bird, I love that honey color! And I'm jealous of the blue eggs! My EE lays a pastel green like she's taking the Easter thing too seriously
roll.png

I don't know much about EE's but I just wanted to say that your girls are really beautiful chickens!!! I've always loved Easter-eggers and their eggs are quite beautiful
smile.png

I love my EE's and all six give me different shades of eggs. I have a PURE WHITE hen that lays a true BLUE egg, like you describe, though the other five look like your sweet girl and they lay shades of green (one olive!).

Two of my six hens look almost identical to your photo and I have named one of them "George" (sooooo curious!) and the other one "Sister" (to George, of course).

I find them all to be insanely curious, very gregarious, and highly productive.

If I stand or crouch in the coop for too long (30 seconds?), the white one will scratch out a nest under my feet and have a sit down.

I love my creative chickens, but I don't DARE call them Ameraucanas! Not on this board, anyway.
wink.png

**Standing by for the pure bred elitist snark in 3........2......**

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom