EE / Ameraucana eggs changing from blue to brown?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EsoBOFH, Oct 17, 2012.

1. EsoBOFH

EsoBOFH Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Surrey, BC Canada
    Folks.. i've read through a number of posts on the topic of eggs changing colours - most of than answers seem to contradict each other.

I have 10 hens, 3 of which are laying. #2 layer was an EE/Ameraucana that was laying bright blue eggs.

The blue eggs suddenly stopped, but I am still getting the same amount of eggs.. cream/white from an RIR/EE cross, small brown ones (similar in size to what was the blue eggs) and speckled brown/white eggs (also similar in size to what the blue where).

I haven't seen a blue egg in two weeks, and the EE was laying them daily at a regular time when she started, and they were very blue. I didn't see any odd blue/brown eggs or green - i simply no longer have any blue eggs.

I can only assume 1 of four things...

1 - they've changed to either the small brown, or the weirdly speckled eggs.

2 - the chickens are eating them (but don't seem to touch the non-blue eggs?) I have seen some poop with a blue tinge in the white part, could this indicate they are being eaten?

3 - she is egg bound? some sort of medical condition? (my EE seems happy, alert and normal)

4 - she was a new layer - could she be taking a break?

Hoping someone with real EE/Ameraucana knowledge can give me a definite answer.

Steps i've taken so far;

1 - checked to make sure my ee girl is healthy/normal. She seems to be.

2 - added golf balls to each nest box (as a method to discourage pecking/eating of the eggs)

any help is appreciated!!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    My vote is for reason 4, and you have another layer.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Blue cannot turn to brown. Blue can turn to green - green eggs are a blue egg with brown spray paint.

So, your blue layer may be taking a break. And you have a new layer on the brown eggs.

4. EsoBOFH

EsoBOFH Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Surrey, BC Canada
    Thanks for the input.. guess i'll wait patiently.. would love to see some more blue eggs!

5. scatesdawn

scatesdawn New Egg

Dec 16, 2012
    Hello, My Ameraucana's eggs have also turned from green/blue to brown speckled. It is winter where I live and I'm guessing that the amount of green vegetation that my Ameraucana eats is down. I think the chloroplast affects the egg color ? I guess if my girls start laying blue/ green eggs again in the summer I'll know is either the plant material or they need to move to Florida where the weather is warmer.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    As Happy Chooks said above, blue/green eggs can not change to brown, although green eggs can become brown-speckled green eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by