EE / Ameraucana eggs changing from blue to brown?

EsoBOFH

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 2, 2012
Surrey, BC Canada
Folks.. i've read through a number of posts on the topic of eggs changing colours - most of than answers seem to contradict each other.

I have 10 hens, 3 of which are laying. #2 layer was an EE/Ameraucana that was laying bright blue eggs.

The blue eggs suddenly stopped, but I am still getting the same amount of eggs.. cream/white from an RIR/EE cross, small brown ones (similar in size to what was the blue eggs) and speckled brown/white eggs (also similar in size to what the blue where).

I haven't seen a blue egg in two weeks, and the EE was laying them daily at a regular time when she started, and they were very blue. I didn't see any odd blue/brown eggs or green - i simply no longer have any blue eggs.

I can only assume 1 of four things...

1 - they've changed to either the small brown, or the weirdly speckled eggs.

2 - the chickens are eating them (but don't seem to touch the non-blue eggs?) I have seen some poop with a blue tinge in the white part, could this indicate they are being eaten?

3 - she is egg bound? some sort of medical condition? (my EE seems happy, alert and normal)

4 - she was a new layer - could she be taking a break?

Hoping someone with real EE/Ameraucana knowledge can give me a definite answer.

Steps i've taken so far;

1 - checked to make sure my ee girl is healthy/normal. She seems to be.

2 - added golf balls to each nest box (as a method to discourage pecking/eating of the eggs)

any help is appreciated!!

Blue cannot turn to brown. Blue can turn to green - green eggs are a blue egg with brown spray paint.

So, your blue layer may be taking a break. And you have a new layer on the brown eggs.

Hello, My Ameraucana's eggs have also turned from green/blue to brown speckled. It is winter where I live and I'm guessing that the amount of green vegetation that my Ameraucana eats is down. I think the chloroplast affects the egg color ? I guess if my girls start laying blue/ green eggs again in the summer I'll know is either the plant material or they need to move to Florida where the weather is warmer.

Back
Top Bottom