EE/Ameraucana sexing questions

Dexters Mom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Three Rivers, MA
24 days ago I hatched 8 beautiful chicks out of blue/green and peach colored eggs.
I was told by the seller they are Ameraucana and EE eggs.

The largest and the smallest egg were not fertilized and two chicks died in the shell.
I ended up hatching 3 chicks from the peach colored eggs (One has 5 toes and one has 5 toes and feathered legs)
and 5 chicks from the blue/green eggs.

One of the chicks (hatched from a blue/green egg) showed red coloring on its comb at under 14 days.
I am pretty sure that is a Roo! His comb is already twice the size of any of the other chicks.
He has very little feathering on his legs and no beard...?

The others are harder!
Here is an example of what I think might be a pullet.
(Blue/green egg)
Comb is narrow, has one slightly raised row in the center.

And this is what I think might be a Roo.
(Peach egg)
The comb is wider and has 3 raised rows.

The 4 chicks I suspect to be Roos are longer and all over larger in size compared to the 4 chicks I think are pullets.
They all chest bump each other, but the 4 larger chicks do A LOT more of it.
The 4 suspected Roos will kick each other off the perch or any other elevated spot.
Little 'guy' in the last two pics will jump onto the back of the other chicks.

I am aware that it is still early, just want to know if I am on the right path
fl.gif

The one with the red comb and the three-rowed comb are probably cockerels. However, it is way too young to tell for sure.

The guys/gals are 34 days old no.
I know it is still too young to sex them, but I compared pictures and OMG THEY CHANGED FAST!

CHICK 1

CHICK2

CHICK3

CHICK4

CHICK5

CHICK6

CHICK7

CHICK8

Fingers crossed for many, many hens!

Chick one is an almost positive roo, and chick 4 looks like it might be, but other than that, I see lots of hens!
the reason I can tell is because chick one has a big red comb and red starting to appear on the wing shoulders, and chick 4 has a medium pea, with 2 red feathers making their appearence.

Speaking of chick 4, we hatched a silkie-ameraucana chick that looked exactly like that, but as it got older, it looked more silkie.
it had the green feet, wing pattern, and black dot.

And it looks like chick 2, the solid black one, is your only ameraucana. Its legs are much more solid black and its color is solid. And im nearly positive it is a pullet!
for some reason, all our white silkie - ameraucana chicks and the ameraucana-easter egger chicks have that black dot on the back of their head. Though they all turn out different.

Last edited:
I think chicks 1 & 4 are your only cockerels. I can see the start of rust/red in the wings of #4, so that is why I am saying that chick is a cockerel. I cannot think of any reason a pullet would have red like it does right now.

Chick1 has showed red coloring on its comb since 2.5 weeks :) I am 99.9% sure its a Roo.
Chick1, 3, 4 and 7 are longer and taller than the others and do bump chests A LOT!
But I had large, tomboy pullets before.....
I am hoping for 4 females but I would be ecstatic about more!!!!
I check daily for red spots on their shoulders. So far only 1 and 3 show some.
This is my first time with EE/Ameraucana mixes and god knows what is in there.
Chick2 and Chick5 have five toes and Chick5 has feathered legs as well.
Chick1 was hatched from a blue egg, but has no beard and yellow legs.
What I ordered were 6 blue Ameraucana Eggs and 6 peach colored EE eggs, but the flock they are from must be a very multi cultural bunch of chickens
lol.png

They are like the little surprise bags I used to buy for a dollar when I was a kid.
You knew there is a little toy in there, but it could be ANYTHING!!!!

Back
Top Bottom