EE, Ameraucanas, Araucana, mutts--my rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yeah! lol.. im so 'ADD' i cant pay attention!
hmm.png

thanks!

Here is a picture of my ameraucana that I bought from a hatchery. She is rumpless. I was confused when I heard she was nothing more that a mutt on BYC, so I called the hatchery and they said the Easter Egger was alway an ameraucana. A few people took some of the EE's and bred for 8 different colors and they decided to call only those 8 colors a true ameraucana. There was also a website that explained it the same way.

I dont know anything about it, i just know that it is offensive to get new little chicks, you share your photos and people are so mean and tell you that you have a mutt. If they are not breeding for show then what does it matter? Imagine you get a new diamond ring and instead of saying how nice you say...i think i see a flaw!

Its a chicken that lays colored eggs just like your chicken does. I do believe however if they did pull 8 colors for show then they should keep those 8 colors going. Its their chicken club with their rules and it doesnt mean anything to those who do not show their chickens.
23509_dsc01888.jpg

Quote:
That's a beauty of an Easter Egger. I have 4 that look very similar to her, but they have tails. I was also under the impression that I was buying Ameraucanas at the time, but I'm sorry to say that our birds are not Ameraucanas. It's okay...they're fine birds and they generally lay more/larger eggs, but they are not Ameraucanas.

smile.png

Quote:
The hatchery didn't tell you the truth, Ginger. And the website I think you're talking about is not a legitimate one. Its tongue in cheek.
Now, mutt just means mixed breed. If you prefer, you can call them MBCs, i.e. Mixed Breed Chicken. It's not an insult and I do not know why you and others are taking it that way. Have you ever wondered why Easter Eggers rarely come in the standard Amerauana colors, why their legs are often green but can be yellow or white? Think about it. I have Ameraucanas but I also have Easter Eggers and love them both, but I know that my EEs are not Ameraucanas and that's okay!
BTW, your little Easter Egger is adorable!

I haven't ordered chickens in years and have never ordered from Meyer's so I am very glad to see they are at least showing an actual picture of what an Easter Egger might look like. The majority of hatcheries do not do that. Now as a responsible buyer it is our job to know the breed Standards for what we buy. Clearly that picture is not of an Ameraucana but it is misleading for new chicken owners who buy them as such. They think a "reputable" hatchery would have their stock labeled correctly so their birds must be Ameraucanas when in fact the are not.

I never try to be rude or snooty when pointing out someones birds are not Ameraucanas but Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are beautiful birds, that come in an endless assortment of colors and varieties. Egg color is also variable and makes for a beautiful egg basket. I had a flock of Easter Eggers and sold them as such. I liked them just as much or more than my Ameraucanas for their laying ability and looks. They certainly aren't boring.

Here is their description in my old Hatching Catalog:

The Easter Egger is a chicken well known for its ability to lay blue and green eggs. None of the birds in this flock lay brown or pinkish eggs. I have selected the majority of the birds to have muffs and beards, but occasionally a non-bearded or muffed bird will make it to the breeding pen because of an interesting color. Egg color can range from a light pastel blue, sea foam green, olive green, and finally to a deep army green. Some of the green eggs will have violet or chocolate colored speckles on them. The darkest green eggs are produced by Cuckoo Marans x Easter Egger Crosses. The color of the birds can be as much of a surprise as their eggs. Adults can be found in solid colors like buff, white, black, blue, splash, red, and brown, or in broken colors like cuckoo, wheaten, silver duckwing, partridge, penciled, columbian, and any other variation you can imagine. The hens lay very well and the roosters are very friendly. Extra Ameraucanas are on this yard, so occasionally you may receive a pure blue, black, splash, or white Ameraucana chick.

So I obviously don't have a problem with them. Here is was my pretty boy Splash:

Splashcockwithhens.jpg

Here is an older thread on the debate: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=67967&p=1

Wow! Splash is so handsome. I guess part of my problem was that I was so excited about my new little chicks that I posted pictures of them and was insulted by the "you've got a mutt". Thank you for your kindness and thank you "speckled hen" for your kindness also. I shouldnt be offended at all.

I think mostly as I was reading through some of the post about ameraucanas and EE's someone always seemed a little mean about it.

If I dont get a blue egg laying EE I do want to get an ameraucana so that I can have a colorful basket. I am going to love and enjoy all of them and do my best to give them the best home they can have.

Thanks again for both your time and kindness.
smile.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom