EE attacked by a dog

And yes saline is better than water and lactated ringers are even better that's what I have been using and always have on hand for my animals. I get them through a friend but online they sell for about $5 per liter or a pharmacist may have some as well!

Doesn't lactated Ringer's have glucose in it? I'll Google that. If so, it seems like the glucose would not be best on a wound. However, if you have good success with it, who am I to say differently, :)

If I can order saline online, in larger quantities, that would be great. My pharmacist doesn't carry the saline except in very small amounts and it is kind of expensive. I am going to see if I can get some from my vet too.

I love this site.

You might pack the wound with honey and cover it with a non-stick wound dressing. I haven't used honey on a chicken wound yet, but have had some horses with horrendous leg wounds that couldn't be sewn and they have healed amazingly well with no infection when packed with honey.

You can purchase from this website: http://www.atlanticmedsupply.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=243&cat=IV+Solutions
I am sure there are plenty of others though the $5 site you needed a prescription for from a vet.

The reason I use the ringers is the pH level of the wound can be controlled by irrigating daily with the solution because it is a strong buffer. The saline is a weak buffer causing low wound pH which is not optimal for healing. By using Ringer's the wound pH environment can be altered to a range conducive to optimal healing. Proper usage of Collagenase, can expedite wound closure by the removal of nonviable tissue. Lactated Ringer's optimizes the action of Collagenase as compared to normal saline. This method will promote expedited wound closure. I was a pre-vet student studying tissue for too long before having a career change.

Every 100 mL of Lactated Ringer's, there are 600 mg of sodium chloride, 20 mg of calcium chloride, 30 mg of potassium chloride and 310 mg of sodium lactate. Commonly people are prescribed Ringer's with dextrose (or another sugar source) in the hospital to provide a source of calories for example after surgery. So commonly it is mixed with a sugar solution when being used by people.

Raw honey works amazing by promoting granulation tissue. As long as the other chickens don't peck away at her
yippiechickie.gif

If anyone needs a chicken saddle pattern let me know they can be modified to cover and protect most wounds on the top or sides of a chicken
big_smile.png

Can you please send me the pattern? My dog got my hen today ( he doesn't understand my hens are not toys) she has some wounds on her back. I have her inside, she is eating and drinking, but not moving much. Tomorrow morning I think I'll try the honey on her wounds.

Thanks so much Chelsebell. I am contacting that link you shared. Also appreciate your taking the time to explain ringer's Lactate.

Her wound is actually looking amazing. I had to debride it Sunday and then go our of town for two days. Today (Tuesday) I checked it and it is granulating. She seems very healthy, but is hanging close to the coop. I feed her some yougurt in a nest box, to help with extra nutrition and to counteract the antibiotic poopers.

I wrap the wound in order to keep the other hens from pecking her. I started spraying Vetricyn (sp?) on it Sunday and am really amazed at the progress.

I am worried that she won't have enough feathers on the back of her neck now to prevent sunburn and chickens pecking at her, but will see what happens. If that is the case, I'll just have to treat her with some no peck medication for the rest of her life. I hope she grows enough feathers around the wound to cover it though.

I've had two injured chickens before, and neither survived. So I'm really happy she seems healthy so far.

For the chicken saddle pattern I have pulled some good ones from online that look better than mine :)

The easiest thing to do is cut a piece of material 8 1/2 by 16 1/2 inches. If the wound is higher on the neck make the skinnier part at the fold longer so then maybe start with 18 or 20" of material that is 8 1/2 inches wide. My latest saddle I will post a picture of at the end I have modified it to be wider and longer to protect the wound the best. So it early depends on the size of the chicken and the wound!

Next sew three of the outer edges and turn inside out I sewed the skinny neck part last after turning inside out. Then you need elastic and velcro or snaps work best so you can easily take it on and off or readjust. You can sew the elastic on permanently but you may have difficulty getting it on around the wing depending on your chicken. The elastic length on the drawing is for combined for both sides. My elastic is about 5 inches on each side sewn to the top neck area and then a snap is sewn where the lower x's are marked on the drawing and on the end of the elastic. If it is for a higher neck wound and you make the skinnier part longer towards the neck keep the elastic sewn towards the base so it still fits properly around the wings. I hope that makes sense! I sewed a thicker patch down the center to give extra protection for the wound when she or her friends try to peck at it.

Here is a finished pattern example :)

I hope that makes sense any questions let me know!
My latest saddle I sewed velcro strips to adhere a thick wound dressing I can change out when needed
wee.gif

Good job with your hens wound mychickenbrood
smile.png
I have heard great things about vetericyn! I wouldn't worry yet about the feathers it took over 2 weeks for my girl to show any signs of growing feathers where there was just skin and not an open wound but I don't think we will know until after the molt and my girl was just at 4months when this happened so I think it will be a while before she molts. But Pepper my sweet hen layed her first egg saturday night and it was perfect so I am sure she has to be feeling well despite the looks of her wound!!

Back
Top Bottom