Chickenista
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Greenwood, SC
I have 7 EE. Three have combs like this:
46722_p6260061.jpg

And four look like this:
46722_p6260065.jpg

They are 12 weeks old. Am I correct in thinking the first 3 are pullets and the other 4 are roos? Three have no comb or very little comb and the other four have red combs. These are my first EE's so I'm basing my guesses on other breeds.

Thoughts? And my thanks!

Now I'm completely confused! I have three with no combs and 4 with red combs. They are the same age. Are you looking at the stance, feathers.... ???

The second is all roo. That comb is way to pink to be pullet. Plus, it looks there are pointy saddle feathers.

The first one, do you have a picture of the tail / saddle area? The comb says pullet, but the color and stance make me wonder - - - a good picture of the saddle are would help me commit one way or another.

So, what does the comb generally look like on an EE? I guess I was naively assuming that a big comb at 12 weeks meant roo and no comb meant girl. I need to go out and take new pics of these little buggers. And pay better attention to their feathers. Or they could crow/lay an egg and make it real easy for me!!!
big_smile.png

I think both of the pictures your posted are boys. The comb on the 1st one looks like a pullet but the color pattern and feathering look rooish. That doesn't mean that the others with similar combs are also boys.

EE's can have any comb type since they are mixed breed. The pea comb is the most typical as it is tied to the blue egg gene. Typically an EE hens comb would look like the 1st pic and a roo's like the 2nd.

barnie.gif
I'm going to stop trying to figure out what sex they are for a month or so! I can't even see them all in the same place with all of the other chickens so it's impossible to compare or even get a picture. One thing I've learned about chickens in the last six months... eventually they'll crow or lay an egg. Even the ones I knew were roos but tried to pretend were pullets ended up showing their true colors! I guess it's wait and see. Thanks everyone! I better not have all roos though!

I say both roos.

EE's are like a Suspense Novel, they can fool you in not knowing who the male culprits really are until the end. (when they crow)

Back
Top Bottom