1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE changing egg color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PetMomSuzanne, Nov 25, 2016.

1. PetMomSuzanne

PetMomSuzanne New Egg

May 6, 2016
    We have one Easter Egger, Dove (named because she's pure white, hardly any comb or wattle, looks more like a dove) who regularly laid a lovely blue-green egg. She's in with 11 Rhode Islands. She went through a molt a month or so ago. In the last week - 10 days, we've been getting 12 eggs a day, but all brown. Has anyone ever had an EE whose egg color changed?

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen some go from blueish green to either green or blue, but pretty sure it's impossible for a colored egg-laying hen to switch to brown. [​IMG]

~Alex

1 person likes this.
  3. PetMomSuzanne

PetMomSuzanne New Egg

May 6, 2016
    Hmmm, I'd wondered.... if that's the case, one of my RIs is laying 2 eggs a day. There's only 12 hens in that coop, one of which is Dove, and almost every day I'm getting 12 eggs. Thanks for the feedback!

4. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

i hope i am not to late to answer!
    I don't think chickens lay 2 eggs a day,but EE i am pretty sure can lay light brown or brown eggs [​IMG]

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    true but if she's laid a blue egg she can only lay blue the rest of her life. The shade will lighten or darken a little over the season but it will basically be the same.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree maybe darker or a bit lighter but, if she lays blue eggs - she will continue to lay blue eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by