EE chick running in frantic circles? WTH? VIDEO! what is this behavior

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
This has been going on for two days now. I have this little EE chick, my favorite, and she's running around the brooder frantically in circles, really tight circles, through the group of chicks, all about, just in a panic it seems. It used to be just once in a while, but now it seems to be fairly constant. When she stops she maybe scratches her face, stretches her wings, maybe eats a bite, pecks a friend, and starts again. It literally is all the time, only a few seconds between....

I took a video of it because its so weird.

She's my favorite because she's always been so calm and unbothered by whats going on around her. Just eating while everyone else is freaking out, or sitting still and looking at me until I pick her up, while everyone else is freaking out- but maybe thats a clue to this? Now instead of being calm she's racing in circles.

I cant find anything wrong with her physically.
Here's the video

I had two chicks that did that before. I think it's like a nervous habit because both grew out of it and are completley healthy. If she is eating and drinking normal she should be fine. Mine were 8 weeks or so before they stopped it.

Reincarnated NASCAR driver?
big_smile.png
(couldn't resist)

She reminds me of Chicken Little...The sky is falling, the sky is falling.... Poor thing. Hope she grows out of it...

awww....the poor little thing must fall over exhausted after a while....

Some people are hyper...I guess chickens can be that way too...I hope it's something she grows out of soon

Since she is not always going to one side, it seems less likely to be a medical problem. Check her over and make sure there are no parasites anywhere that might be irritating her, and try to get her as much stimulation as you can. This is interesting!

Back
Top Bottom