EE coloring

Problem is, ameraucanas are NOT brand new. They were recognised as a breed in 1980 (30 years ago!) by the ABA and by the APA in 1984 (26 years ago). And they were being bred to a consistent standard for many years before.

The ABA & APA standards are the defininitive authority on standards in US poultry. For ameraucana, they require a pea comb and slate legs.

Quote:
My exact words were "this is still a relatively new breed to most". New in the sense that it is far from Heritage, new in that most people are still JUST learning about them, and new in that there are so many misconceptions, new in that it has yet to be fully understood. This has been proven over and over and over again. We don't need to count the numerous threads on EE's vs Ameraucanas because there are SO many. It doesn't matter if the breed was recognized over 2 decades ago...people are still learning about it.
hu.gif
I was at a show this fall where a Black Australorp was being shown as an Ameraucana.
ep.gif
I took a picture of it with my cell phone! If I knew how to load it on to this site, I would. It was never DQ'd. If we were to go to a breeder and get a Leghorn or Rhode Island Red...we'd know what we were getting. But the fact is that so many breeders are breeding "Ameraucanas" that are actually EE's...all because they don't know better as this breed is STILL NEW to the chicken world. People are still learning about it. (Sorry to the original poster OP for this sidetrack...).

Quote:
The uphill battle is that the name Ameraucana was already in use since the '30s to describe the Worlds Fair Quechua, what so may people now write off as "mutt chickens with the blue egg gene".

Imagine if Labrador people got together and decided that only yellow Labs are now Labs and black and cocoa are now "mutt dogs with the bird-dog gene". Standards, APA and ABA, are of concern only to those who concern themselves with such.
smile.png

Quote:
The uphill battle is that the name Ameraucana was already in use since the '30s to describe the Worlds Fair Quechua, what so may people now write off as "mutt chickens with the blue egg gene".

Imagine if Labrador people got together and decided that only yellow Labs are now Labs and black and cocoa are now "mutt dogs with the bird-dog gene". Standards, APA and ABA, are of concern only to those who concern themselves with such.
smile.png

Hey, hey now! Its CHOCOLATE Lab!
old.gif
And I have to agree. Coming from the world of dogs, and especially as a Lab owner, I can see your point. I think is all about popularity of the color sometimes. I prefer chocolate, myself
love.gif

Well, so far with my 2, it seems that one looks to be have the pea comb and one does not. Oh well! They're cute a heck, gonna love them no matter what! They are the sweetest little buggers and I have to say, I am hooked!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom