EE cross & egg colors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by janjan1, Feb 11, 2009.

1. janjan1

janjan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    I've got a couple EE hens that have started laying beautiful blue & green eggs. I've wondered tho if I let these eggs hatch out, will the resulting hens possibly lay the same colored eggs too or will they be brown due to the fact the rooster is not a EE.
    Just wondering as all my other roosters & hens that are laying, are laying nice brown eggs.
    Jan

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    There is a chance that they may lay colored eggs & if they do, keep a roo with a pea comb (it is linked to colored eggs) & breed him back to your hens for an even better chance of colored egg producers.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    My mother has several EE cross girls that just started laying. The ones that were crossed with a brown egg roo lay pretty olive green eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I'm so glad I read this thread because I just found out that I may have some EE X's (an EE Mommy and a Silkie roo). So if I have a hen or two (don't know yet), I might get a colored egg layer! YIPEE!

The chicks that I suspect could be the crosses have the 5 Silkie toes with black feet (some feathers), a crest, and the muffs of an EE! They are about 4 months old right now (I have three of these), so I'm going to have to wait it out, but I am so anxious!

I hope my luck is better than the last time I bought chicks. I picked out four Frizzles that I thought could be hens and they ALL turned out to be roos and I had to rehome them.

Good luck with your EE's! Genie

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I believe the blue/green color gene is dominant so you would get 50-100% laying colored eggs depending on if the hen has 1 or both genes. The color would be over whatever color gene the roo adds so if he's from a breed that lays brown you get dark olive green eggs or similar shades. If he's from a breed that lays white you get the light blue or green. Provided the hens aren't also carrying brown egg laying genes with the blue/green.

6. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I crossed an EE with a White Leghorn and got one hen that lays light brown eggs and one that lays light blue eggs. Also crossed EE with RIR and got one olive green layer and one brown. All are very pretty colors.

7. BB3

BB3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    I got 2 easter egger Roosters from Murry Mcmurry I plan on getting rid of the rest of my roosters to see if I can get the Green egg gene passed down, they are Friendly and pretty types of birds.

8. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    I have an EE that lays blue green eggs, that crossed with a SSH (They have white eggs), their chick was a she (Purdy Birdy)and lays the same blue green color eggs. but they are the smaller size of the SSH, rather than the larger size of my EE.

That was a question I had pondered for a while, I was hoping to expiriment more this spring. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. The Lady

The Lady New Egg

Aug 9, 2012
    I have RIR (brown layers) and an EE roo. Would you get the same effect (genetically) if you bred these. In other words, would the hens from these hatched eggs lay green eggs or does it have to be the EE hen and brown layer Roo? Thanks, the Lady

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by