1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE egg shell color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erlibrd, Nov 16, 2012.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    My 3 ee's lay greenish colored eggs, very pretty eggs. When I crack the eggs open the insides are blue but after being exposed to air for about an hour or so the inside of the shell turns white. Anyone else notice this and why does it happen?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Interesting question. I never noticed that when I had a green egg layer. Unfortunately someone dropped a couple of dogs off in the country and I no longer have a green egg layer so I can't experiment. They could have dropped those dogs off at the shelter for free and saved me a lot of trouble, but there is probably a good reason they did what they did. Probably that they are just dumb.

Are you sure you are looking at the inside of the shell and that you are not seeing the membrane on the inside dry out?

3. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Ridgerunner I think you are right that it's the membrane drying out and not the shell!! thank you!
    I am sorry you lost your hen to dogs :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by