EE free ranging ?

Dingo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Somewhere near Springfield, Ma
I have an EE and a cochin, I'm certain the cochin would stay close if allowed to free range as she's quite lazy and spends most of her day laying in the shade. The EE on the other hand is an active crazy bird, although she always keeps watch of the cochin I think she'd have moments of boldness and venture out. I'm looking for advise from anyone who has some on keeping chickens(particularly active crazy ones) close by while letting them out to free range. They have about .6 of an acre to roam, some of that is over grown with burdocks and jewel weed and some is wooded. Part of their job is tick and other insect control and they can't do that in a pen.

All my 67 of my birds free range everyday. By far, my bravest hens that venture the furthest from the coop are the Golden Campine, Red Stars, Buff Orpingtons, and RIRs: They visit the horse paddock about 3/4 of an acre from their pasture every day. My Golden Campine is the first out and the last in every day and the only one to get up in trees, etc.

Now, that being said, for the first several weeks when I first let them outside to range....they only went a few feet away from the door. Each week they got a bit braver, but it took a couple months before they were comfortable to actually use their entire area. I am going through that right now with my juvenile Easter Eggers. They've been allowed outside for two weeks and so far, the furthest they have ventured is about 10 feet from the door.

My main rooster is an EE (my avatar) and he will go with the girls if he sees them. My EE hens typically either stay in their 200x100 pasture or the orchard, which is in front of it. They are some of the first back into the hen house at night too. I think a lot depends on your hens.

Well thats good to know. I just figured since she's such an active and insane bird that she'd venture away in search of something more interesting than what she's seen for the last few weeks.
Do they usually stay closer after they've started laying?

I sgree with Mrs. MaGoo--I think it really depends on each hen. My EE's are very adventurous, but they always find their way back to the pen area. When they started to lay-- sometimes they would sometimes lay in their nest boxes, but also go into our barn, other outbuildings, etc to lay, so unless you want an easter egg hunt, you might want to keep them penned up until they lay each day. Especially when they first start to lay, so they get in the habit of using the nest boxes....

Back
Top Bottom