EE from Hatcheries..... anyone have any?

Quote:
That's funny, my EE is one of my best layers. She lays just about everyday, even now when everyone else is slowing down. Maybe the molt has more impact on her.

My 3 are from a local hatchery, Estes. They sell at a local chain feed store in the midwest. Mine don't lay very dark eggs. One tends to lay huge eggs that are barely tinted and the other 2 lay light blue slightly green standard medium-large eggs.

SANY1501.jpg

SANY1587.jpg

I have three EE's that I got from Privet (via a local feed store). One lays a green egg every day (and we have had a couple of double yokes from her). The second lays an olive green egg about every third day. The third one lays a green with a blue tint every other day. The color of this third one varies from day to day. Some days it is pretty much blue. Other days it is green. And some days it is somewhere in-between. Occasionally it will be green with blue tint and the pointed end will be more blue than the rest of the egg. These are pullets that I purchased as day old chicks in mid-April.

I have been selling about 3 - 4 dozen eggs per week for the last month or so. My customers are disappointed if they don't get at least one green egg in each carton. I usually try to include 2 green eggs, 2 white eggs, 1 welsumer egg (mine are dark speckles on Tera Cota color) in each carton. The remainder of the carton are various shades of brown. This is part of the reason that my 17 pullets are 11 different breeds, for variety.

I received 6 pullet chicks from Privett this spring. One turned out to be a roo but we kept him because he is beautiful, quiet, and keeps order in the hen house. One of the chicks was all yellow (with green legs) and turned out white when she feathered in. And she is HUGE. We figure their is some accidental leghorn or delaware in her somewhere. The other 4 chicks looked like the typical chipmunk color and are now all golden with blue lacing.

So far with 5 pullets we are getting 3 green eggs (one fairly olive, two minty green). I suspect the white EE may be laying a brown egg. And one of them isn't doing anything yet, but even though hatched on the same day, she is not as physically mature as the others. She doesn't have hardly any comb yet and is a bit small. So I suspect she is not laying eggs yet at all.

I got 5 from Ideal this year - 1 was a rooster. They just started laying - at least 2 of them. Not sure if all are laying blue-green eggs, but 2 are. Here's a couple of photos of one of the eggs with a Wyandotte egg from an older hen:
DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

Oh - right - you asked for photos of the birds, too. All 5 are very different in looks, and only the roo and one pullet were bearded.

Here's a few:

The roo - now gone to a nice home that needed an EE roo:
DSC_0929a.jpg

A pretty pullet:
DSC_0284.jpg

Elvira - the bearded lady (in the back, of course);
DSC_0310.jpg

My white one, which I love (sorry it is out of focus):
DSC_0296.jpg

And the last, who is one I know is laying now:
DSC_0293.jpg

I have 2 EEs from Ideal that we got in March.

Here is one (on the right):
CIMG2217.jpg

And the other (an older pic, on the right as well):
CIMG1887.jpg

They BOTH lay cream, almost white eggs. No color
sad.png
My 7yo ds thinks he was lied to by the hatchery
lol.png

Mine are from Townline in Michigan.. they are typical.. wish I would have gotten some cool colors like the others did.. The are still pretty ladies though.
100_1429.jpg
as a 3 week old baby
100_2083.jpg
as a 18 week old

102_1588.jpg
my favorite.. the picture doesnt do her justice, she is very blonde.. not alot of red to her like the picture shows.. and this was a month ago..

No photos but have 6 EE's and they are like sets of twins. Two are white w/a little tan, 2 are tan w/little white & 2 are tan w/grey. I got them because i fell in love with the beautiful aqua colored egg of the one hen I bought last year - she is a light grey but the only one to survive an order of 3 from Meyer. These new girls have just reached 5 months and one lays a beige egg and the rest an ugly army olive green. I don't find them attractive at all. Will let them run their laying course but have 3 Welsummers coming along and want to add some SB Dorkings to use as egg and meat birds. The EE's were a disappointment after having the first one who laid almost every day and whose eggs were large within about 2 weeks and such a beautiful greenish blue color. Now 14 months into laying she is slowing down - don't think I will try them again. As far as size and frequency my Barred Rocks and Delaware can't be beat, but do want to try something new so this Spring will try and get some Dorkings to raise along with my Welsummers which are only 2-l/2 months old now.

Back
Top Bottom