EE gender at 18 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GeneGoddess, Jul 6, 2010.

1. GeneGoddess

GeneGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Maryland
    By 18 weeks, shouldn't I be able to tell a roo from a hen? Seriously, I must be a freak. I'm planning to thin my flock a bit and
    need to rehome a few EEs. But I want to make sure that what I am giving away are indeed hens and not roos (I would hate
    to give someone a "hen" than starts to crow). Will someone please reassure me? Thanks. Also, I'm including a 19wk old
    Partridge Rock. She's a girl, too, right? No one is crowing and no one is laying eggs yet...

Cupcake
    [​IMG]

Leader
    [​IMG]

Greywing
    [​IMG]

Nugget
    [​IMG]

Anonymous
    [​IMG]

And the PR "Jane". She's about 19 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Thank you.

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Cupcake - hen
    Leader - roo?
    Greywing - hen
    Nugget - hen
    Anonymous -hen
    Jane - not sure

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would say pullets except for the last one but I am not sure. But I know those are some great looking EE's I really liked greywing.

4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

All the EE's are hens. The PR looks to be a hen to me, but I don't know the breed well.

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I don't know...Nugget looks a little "rooish" to me. [​IMG] And no, you're not a freak...at least not about this! [​IMG] Can't say much about other things, but it is really hard sometimes to sex the EE's! I had one that didn't crow til he was 8 months old, then all of a sudden started crowing and decided to grow pointy feathers.

The thing that makes me think Nugget is a roo is that if you look near his tail, those feathers are thinner than Cupcake's (?) that is standing next to him in that pic. Also his neck feathers seem to be swooping back a little. My roos seem to get that early, and my hens not til they are over a year.

It is hard to tell by their combs. His seems to be a little larger and pinker than the other EE girls, but it is not reliable until one day when it is obvious. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try and go by that! LOL!

The PR is a girl! She'd have big greenish black tail feathers starting to curve if she was a boy. They mature faster than the EE do.

Very pretty birds!

Shelly

6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    All are pullets... Very pretty ones [​IMG]

7. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I think all pullets

8. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    All are DEFINITELY girlies, pretty ones too [​IMG] EE roos generally are more "splotchy" with their coloring... Example-

Boy at 4months-
    [​IMG]

Girl at 4 months-
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  9. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Agreed. Definately pullets.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  10. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    They look like girls to me too. The only one I might question is Nugget and that's just because I can't get a good look at her saddle though the weeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by