EE help please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Grand-hen-ma, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Hi, I have a beautiful EE and she has been laying eggs for me for about a couple week now. I thought EE's laid blue or green eggs but hers are white. Will her eggs change colors when she gets a little older? She's about 4 or 5 months old.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

No eggs do not change color, they are predetermined by genetics. EEs being "mutts" can lay any color. Sorry for your disappointment [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I have a ton of Easter Eggers & I'm probably not far from you....your welcome to any I have (and I have 12 in the 'bator right now due to hatch on 6/30).

It is true that EE are not a breed - they are a type of chicken bred to lay colored eggs...so it's especially disappointing when they don't lay green or blue!

I recently had the experience of selling two EE hens to a friend, only to find out that one of them layed a brown egg & I never even realized it (I have a ton of brown egg layers, so I didn't even question it)....well, I had "egg on my face" when my friend reported the hen wasn't laying green/blue eggs! LOL He was charitable about it, but it was a good lesson for me!

4. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    [​IMG] Whoa. I thought they only laid blue and green.
    *fiddles with brain's inner workings and reprograms to know that EEs lay ANY COLOR EGG*

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:So true, I have on that looks like a lav. Amer and she lays a light tan colored egg. On the other hand I have an EE that lays blue eggs. Which is why I have no problem with EE's and them being cheaper than Ameraucanas. I just want colored eggs and don't care what the hens heritage is. [​IMG]

Hope you get what your looking for.

Rancher

6. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I had 4 EEs- one layed brown, two layed pretty pale blue, and one a sort of camo green.

7. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I bought my first EE's from My Pet Chicken. They were up front about what to expect. [​IMG] This is from their catalogue:

"They are friendly, great layers of large blue and green eggs, and (rarely) white, creamy brown or even pinkish eggs. Please note: This variety of chicken can lay blue, green, pink, white or brown eggs (or any color in between). There is no guarantee as to what color egg your hen will give. Each hen will give ONE egg color. The egg color will not change from one egg being laid to another. For example, if your hen has just laid a green egg, then don't expect the second egg to be pink."

They sell their chicks as EE's, not Ameraucanas, Americanas, Araucanas, etc. so I did not have to go through the "shock" of finding out that my new chicks were not purebred. They are lovely little birds and a joy to have in the flock! [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yeppers, it's a crap shoot.

9. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I have 4 EEs. One lays olive, one lays blue, one lays light blue...and my one hatchery EE lays an egg that is sometimes a mixed color of oliveish blue and white...whatever, they are ugly eggs. Ah, well.
    [​IMG]

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:That's what I have coming from mine. One of the pale blue ones just has a hint of blue. Could appear white in a different light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by