1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE hens should be all one color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kemclaughlin, May 21, 2011.

1. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I got these to Easter Eggers out of the pullet bin. Someone told me that if they have different colored heads, or if they have more than one color on them, that they are cockerels. Is this true? Here they are. (on a side note, does everyone else in these pictures also look like pullets?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know you can't see all of both of them in any of these pictures, but they are both in each of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Not true. I have seen many EE hens that were mulicolored.

3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    While I am new at this, I've been studying a lot and these all look like girls to me.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I only saw one suspicious one, but if she's a RIR she will still have a really great comb, so I wouldn't necessarily use that as a definitive response. Everybody else looks pretty girly to me.

5. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Quote:There are two red sex links and one RIR in there.

6. tripletmumm

tripletmumm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Hood River, Oregon
    How do they behave? It's been my experience that the ones that turn out to be roos are the ones who are more curious and in your face. They are the ones who push their way to the front to have their chests scratched or hopping up on the edge of the box to see what is going on.

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    They look like girls. If they start getting splashes of red/brown on their shoulders or 3 rows on their comb then uusually that means they are roos, but yours look like pullets.

8. squeak1387

squeak1387 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    the color part is so not true. right now i currently have 9 EE laying hens that have 3 or 4 colors on each. not a single one i have is one sollid color. not ever my roo. that is what is so great about EEs they are all so pretty in their own way. and you can tell them all right, unlike with some other breeds.

9. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Quote:These two are pretty shy and flighty. One of the red sex links is pretty curious and one of the barred rocks as well. The rest are, well... chickens.

10. tripletmumm

tripletmumm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Hood River, Oregon
    Well, I've never had EE's (They are beautiful btw. Think I might have to get me some), but with what you described of them, I think you have hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by