EE or Brahma roo

Do you prefer an EE or Brahma roo? or something else?

• EE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brahma

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
Yes, but what the rooster perceives as wrong may not be. That's why so many humans get attacked.

But my dogs are well trained. I can't train the rooster not to go after them when they are running and playing. It's not fair to the dogs. So I now make sure the roos are locked on the other side of the fence when we are playing in order to avoid the issue. Because despite the fact that my dogs have been doing this exact same behavior since the chicks were brought home and never a problem until the roo reaches a certain hormonal change and also the roos know the dogs don't go after them they don't have any respect for the dogs or see them as a true threat. But more as a challenge they can defeat.

My dogs are the ones that protect from strays.

My solution instead of not having roos which I enjoy and dogs.. is separation during high activity times. During low activity times all are allowed to mingle. But you have to watch for the chicken giving the dog the stink eye! When they get the stink eye, they have a challenge in mind.

And I'm not worried about y'all thinking this is an argument... we all know it's just a discussion of our different experiences and ideas. :highfive:
Just as we are all individuals, the birds will be to. So ya just never know till you try! :)

I totally agree. And I didn't think it was an argument either, just a discussion. :)

I'd like my roos to go after dogs that aren't doing anything. It's kind of like keeping a cockerel nice, even when they aren't doing anything bad, you still show them who is boss. It makes everything easier.
I kinda get what you are saying...

Yes the roos don't go after my dogs when laying around. Only when we are playing.

Not all cockerels need to be treated the same. The one I have to employ these techniques with is one who specifically challenges me. It's not about not letting them do anything around you but teaching them to respect your space which I didn't do with my first round of cockerels. And the only boy who was friendly and hung out on my lap is the ONLY one who has ever attacked me. But there might be other things that effect it. Like when he suddenly became the last cock in the flock, maybe he was feeling his Wheaties. And just hasn't quit eating them yet.

I will check out that those 2 links.

I let my cockerels and roos eat and crow around me...I feed them out of my hand. Just any sign of thinking about aggression is immediately stopped.

And, roosters aren't dumb. If your dog leaves them alone, he'll return the favor. They don't attack relentlessly.

Eta sorry for incomplete sentences, bad grammar, etc. I'm not on the computer, so this is harder than normal to type. :p

Yes, but what the rooster perceives as wrong may not be. That's why so many humans get attacked.

But my dogs are well trained. I can't train the rooster not to go after them when they are running and playing. It's not fair to the dogs. So I now make sure the roos are locked on the other side of the fence when we are playing in order to avoid the issue. Because despite the fact that my dogs have been doing this exact same behavior since the chicks were brought home and never a problem until the roo reaches a certain hormonal change and also the roos know the dogs don't go after them they don't have any respect for the dogs or see them as a true threat. But more as a challenge they can defeat.

My dogs are the ones that protect from strays.

My solution instead of not having roos which I enjoy and dogs.. is separation during high activity times. During low activity times all are allowed to mingle. But you have to watch for the chicken giving the dog the stink eye! When they get the stink eye, they have a challenge in mind.

And I'm not worried about y'all thinking this is an argument... we all know it's just a discussion of our different experiences and ideas. :highfive:
Just as we are all individuals, the birds will be to. So ya just never know till you try! :)

I totally agree. And I didn't think it was an argument either, just a discussion. :)

Yes the roos don't go after my dogs when laying around. Only when we are playing.

Not all cockerels need to be treated the same. The one I have to employ these techniques with is one who specifically challenges me. It's not about not letting them do anything around you but teaching them to respect your space which I didn't do with my first round of cockerels. And the only boy who was friendly and hung out on my lap is the ONLY one who has ever attacked me. But there might be other things that effect it. Like when he suddenly became the last cock in the flock, maybe he was feeling his Wheaties. And just hasn't quit eating them yet.

Thanka for all the info and yes, just a discussion not an argument at all :)

And thanks for the advice about how to treat the cockerels, that makes sense.

Same here, but I've never had an aggressive cockerel or rooster. And I've had a lot. Most are pretty friendly and tame. But not aggressive, that would not be tolerated.

Last edited:
That article and story were both great!

I know for a fact that not all roosters will be human aggressive! And they don't attack chicks because the chicks might belong to them. I was worried about the chicks with my broody because they can make it through to the stag pen. But no incidents so far. And the cockerel who makes it over the fence to hang out with the ladies doesn't bother the chicks at all. When I go outside, he alerts and walks over to the gate where I open it and he goes back into the stag pen very peacefully. But I don't have to square off for him to attack me. He does it from behind and NEVER to my face... like he's a chicken or something.
tongue.png

Only thing about that story... is that for me it will be easier to just put him up instead of worrying that my moves will be misinterpreted and I might get flogged.

Also, how she mentions her boots being a trigger... I say true. The cockerels my daughter harassed would go after her boots all the time. Change of shoes different behavior.

Did you know that chickens can recognize up to 50 faces? and they have 3 eyelids... while fish have no eyelids!

I read the two links you posted, KDOG. Thanks for the info.
I'd like to see the links you were referring to on rooster training, EggSighted, if you could tell me where they are please?

Last edited:
That article and story were both great!

I know for a fact that not all roosters will be human aggressive! And they don't attack chicks because the chicks might belong to them. I was worried about the chicks with my broody because they can make it through to the stag pen. But no incidents so far. And the cockerel who makes it over the fence to hang out with the ladies doesn't bother the chicks at all. When I go outside, he alerts and walks over to the gate where I open it and he goes back into the stag pen very peacefully. But I don't have to square off for him to attack me. He does it from behind and NEVER to my face... like he's a chicken or something.
tongue.png

Only thing about that story... is that for me it will be easier to just put him up instead of worrying that my moves will be misinterpreted and I might get flogged.

Also, how she mentions her boots being a trigger... I say true. The cockerels my daughter harassed would go after her boots all the time. Change of shoes different behavior.

Did you know that chickens can recognize up to 50 faces? and they have 3 eyelids... while fish have no eyelids!

Yep! I actually thought they could recognize more, though...

My chickens are terrified of umbrellas. And they don't like it when I wear anything other than jeans and a t shirt.
roll.png
lol.png

I had those two roos who never attacked, ever, and they were never handled and I never paid attention to how I presented myself to them, always looked right at them too. The one rooster who did attack me regularly was a brown leghorn with no hens who had to be separated out of the flock. Any time I came around. Front, side or back, he got me. No matter what I was wearing. I figured it was to do with him being low man on the totem pole. He was treated the same as the other roosters.
It'd be nice to have a definitive answer as to why a rooster becomes human aggressive and how to stop/prevent it. All this info and I'm still not sure how to go about this rooster stuff.

Yep! I actually thought they could recognize more, though...

My chickens are terrified of umbrellas. And they don't like it when I wear anything other than jeans and a t shirt.
roll.png
lol.png
It might be like 100, but I didn't want to exaggerate and it's been a while since I learned it...
I read the two links you posted, KDOG. Thanks for the info.
I'd like to see the links you were referring to on rooster training, EggSighted, if you could tell me where they are please?
It was just post 18 and 25 that you referred to, but here is the link...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1149551/aggressive-rooster/10

But also I do agree that roosters are mostly doing their job and what comes natural to them. And there are lots of good ones. And roosters can definitely live together. Depends on the individuals. They will still have normal confrontations just like the girls do..

Just take all the info you have and make the best decision you can and be prepared to adjust if needed.
big_smile.png

It might be like 100, but I didn't want to exaggerate and it's been a while since I learned it...
It was just post 18 and 25 that you referred to, but here is the link...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1149551/aggressive-rooster/10

But also I do agree that roosters are mostly doing their job and what comes natural to them. And there are lots of good ones. And roosters can definitely live together. Depends on the individuals. They will still have normal confrontations just like the girls do..

Just take all the info you have and make the best decision you can and be prepared to adjust if needed. :D

Ah, yes. Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom