EE probably a girl but maybe Im wrong

chicken pickin

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 3, 2012
So this is my EE Rose. She is 11 1/2 weeks old. This is my first time owning chickens so Im new to all the sexing techniques but am learning lots from this site. I only ordered sexed pullets but this one from about 2 weeks old made me think maybe a roo. I go back and forth, shes a girl, no a boy, def a girl, ehhh no wait. She was the slowest to feather, her wing feathers stayed super short and stubby until about 3-4 weeks old, she didnt grow a tail until about 3-4 weeks old. Ive been told shes a pullet and her coloring is I guess pullet coloring but she is so different from all the other girls. She acts different stands different I dont know it might just be me LOL. Here are some pics of her. I couldnt get any of her comb yesterday but It is orangey, wide, not very raised, 3 rows with the middle a little more raised than the outer rows. I put a lot of pics cause I coudnt decide lol sorry

She is pretty but she confuses me I keep changing my mind about her and I know sometimes easter eggers are tough to sex. I figure shes a girl because i bought her sexed, but ive seen people talk about the accidental rooster slipping past the vent sexer(dont know there actual title).

Actually, a VERY easy way to show people sexing EE's by demonstrating with your pictured birds there is by color. EE's are very easily sexed by color, as most are actually sex-linked too.

Females in most cases come out a partridge looking brown and black, often known as wild-type duckwing. Some though are silver too, which is strictly black and white, sometimes with a salmon breast.

Males on the other hand are quite often black and white, but have colored red, orange, or yellow feathers that emerge on sometimes the neck, back, and most importantly and almost always the shoulders. These are tell-tail signs of a male, as females cannot have that color in those regions. Other male colors that are red flags are one coming out with a black breast and red markings on the shoulders, neck, and back. /img/smilies/smile.png

True saddle and hackle feathers actually come in much later, so judging by them is a hard thing to do, especially when someone is new with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom