1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by laircy, Sep 6, 2016.

1. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    So, I don't know what this rooster is, but he looks part Ameraucana. Beard and muffs, comb part pea but looks part straight. Yellow legs and extra toes. Red feathers and green tail. Type B body. Is this enough information to guess what the other half of him is? I'm wondering if he has the blue egg gene at all.

Here's a pic:
    https://postimg.org/image/c2ldqxpsb/

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    To determine the genes he is carrying you'll need to breed him and raise some pullets to the point of lay to see what he has passed on to them.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Note to all.....ads on the link aren't necesarily family friendly.

The rooster you have is an Easter egger. The nice pea comb on him bodes well for the blue egg gene, but is no guarantee.

I agree with OGM--you'd have to test breed him and see what his pullet offspring lay. Breed him to a white egg layer, raise those pullets up. If htey all lay light blue eggs, he's pure for the blue egg gene.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Ol Gray Mare and donrae

5. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    My best guess for the other half is red dorking, based mostly on the extra toe which only five breeds have. Red dorkings are red, have yellow unfeathered legs with extra toe, and single comb. His comb is pea x single so that would be where the single is from. Is this a good assessment?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by