EE sexing question ** PICS ADDED**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by archerobx, Jan 18, 2011.

1. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    I have som EEs that I think are not pure. I was wondering at what age can you get an accurate determination of sex by just looking at them.
    I am trying to figure it out myself before I ask yall for help.

thanks
    Ryan

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- no EEs are pure- they are all a mixes, basically. You can usually tell at 4 weeks, but sometimes it can be really difficult with the pea combs. Sometimes you can tell by the colors-
    boys tend to have more black and red in teh wild-type patterns, while girls will be more soft colors.

3. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Again, hard to tell with pea combs. I honestly didn't know til ours started crowing! He developed pointy feathers around that time too. Then again, he was in with our dominant rooster at the time so his "rooish" behavior was kept in check.

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Pea combs are pretty straitforward to sex. At 6 weeks, sexing can be almost obvious!

Here is a young 7 week old Ameraucana Cockerel whose sex is obvious...
    [​IMG]

Basically, If It's large and red it's male. It It's a wide, 3 row, pinkish red comb It's male...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No EE is "pure."

There are indeed ways of sexing them though. One is the common way of looking at the comb. The other is by looking at the plumage after it grows in enough. Males and Females have certain patterns they each follow with set rules. It is a part of the fact that most EE's are duckwing based.

White EE's you cannot sex in this manner, but a general rule is that if the chick is turning out mostly brown and black - Females will have a normal brown colored head and chest, black barred or penciled appearance from the shoulders on back to the tail. Males will be a darker, rich red with less of the barred/penciled appearance, and more of a scattered black here and there. The shoulders will eventually grow in a rich, almost shiny red color and the tail will get quite green.

If the chick is growing up to be mostly white and black, a female will again have a mostly white head with an appearance of black penciling or barring on the back half of the body. It may have some salmony orange or red coloration show up on the chest, but that's usually about it. Males will be, again, less of a barred/penciled appearance and more of just simply a splattered or smudged scattering of black through their body. They will also start to grow red and gold coloration on their shoulders and/or neck and back. Their tails will be solid black and have a green sheen.

If the chick feathers out an odd multicolor, but is getting any gold or bright red in the mix, it is a male. If it is simply beginning to look like a wild Quail, it is a female.

Tell me if that was too hard to understand. [​IMG]

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Firstly, no EE can be pure. By definition, they are mutts.

The gender problem is easy at a certain age. But when they are younger, it's harder...

Sometimes you can tell by colors - males tend to be either a white-black "silver" variation, sometimes with color showing up in the wings. Sometimes, this is reversed where the roo is mainly black with white more on the face/hackles/breast/wings. But of course, you could have a wildcard boy in there.

Look for pointed feathers, aggressive/dominant behavior, and big feet. Or wait until you catch them crowing..

7. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Well You've lost me [​IMG] but I think I get what your saying, and your right, but EEs are never reliable... -sighs-

8. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    Quote:Great post Illia. Thats exactly what I find with my EE's. [​IMG]

9. clyde_97

clyde_97 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    I know this may sound like a stupid question but what are EE's ????
    [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Eggers. The blue/green egg laying chickens that hatcheries/feedstores sell falsely as "Ameraucanas." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by