EE x RIR + EE x White Leghorn.

Jharper

Songster
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
Tifton, Ga
I have just recently hatched out 5 chicks. Which 3 are EE crosses. One is a rooster and the rest are pullets. I was just wondering what the color eggs the white leghorn cross would lay. Also I was wanting to know what color eggs the RIR cross would lay.

Last edited:
If any of the youngsters are pullets and have a pea comb, then they are apt to lay blue-green or green-tinted eggs. The genes for pea comb and blue or green egg coloration are located right next to each other on the chromosome, so they tend to go together. EE crossed with a white egg layer results in green or blue eggs, and EE crossed with a brown egg layer results in olive eggs.

That said, most of my EE crosses have pea combs and lay green eggs. Even the hen that's only 1/4 EE lays a green egg. It appears to be very persistent.

My 1 EE lays mostly olive colored eggs, but some days she lays a bright green egg and others its almost brown, which is contrary to everything I have read! My Sister swears she gets her blue eggs from a white leghorn/Ameraucana cross

I had a couple batches of leghorn/ee crosses--I love them! I get huge light green eggs daily.
EEx brown egg layer usually just gives a muddy brown or green color egg.

Back
Top Bottom