Eeeek! Eggs have Arrived

Pics
Ended up with only 9 chicks total. Very disappointing honestly. Horrible hatch rate and several babies that didn't even attempt to hatch:( We did briefly lose power two days before hatching for several hours so maybe that had something to do with it. "Snow Storm" currently happening in my area and I'm now waiting for my Meyer chicks that should be here Wednesday.
There are so many things that can affect hatch rate, how the eggs were stored before shipping, how old they are, parent stock genetics, nutrition of the parent stock, the stress of shipping, cleanliness of the egg, cleanliness of the incubator, the incubators temperature and humidity, just a lot that can happen. My first hatch I got 16 chicks from the 22 eggs and I drove to pick the eggs up so "shipped" but gently.

Enjoy your new chicks and stay warm with that storm coming
Good Morning Love GIF by BigBrains

I've read the temperature could affect pullets/cockerel ratio. The lower the hatching temp, the more pullets supposedly, because the cockerels are not strong enough to hatch in lower temps. I don't know this for a fact personally.
I'm not as good at sexing chicks as I was 5-6 years ago but I know I've got at least 3 cockerels out of this bunch.

There are so many things that can affect hatch rate, how the eggs were stored before shipping, how old they are, parent stock genetics, nutrition of the parent stock, the stress of shipping, cleanliness of the egg, cleanliness of the incubator, the incubators temperature and humidity, just a lot that can happen. My first hatch I got 16 chicks from the 22 eggs and I drove to pick the eggs up so "shipped" but gently.

Enjoy your new chicks and stay warm with that storm coming
Good Morning Love GIF by BigBrains
The more I look at Meyer reviews the more I see people that got 40% or less hatch rate at times. They honestly shipped them very well as far as packing goes. But, then I have no idea about their parent stock really, or how rough USPS was with them. I just deep cleaned my incubator last night because I found a local Orpington breeder that has show quality birds, she said she'd sell me a dozen eggs next week, so I'm setting up for that. I wish I could have just found a breeder local to begin with. I wouldn't have ever hatched out or bought chicks this early if I wasn't due with my 3rd baby in June. Rushing trying to make sure everything is completely ready before I'm to big to function:lau
Side note: When I incubate these Orpington eggs, I'm acting going to avoid putting ANY in the middle of the egg tray because none of those hatched....I think my NR360 has 4-5 that would be in the middle. So, I'm going to try avoiding fill those this time.

The more I look at Meyer reviews the more I see people that got 40% or less hatch rate at times. They honestly shipped them very well as far as packing goes. But, then I have no idea about their parent stock really, or how rough USPS was with them. I just deep cleaned my incubator last night because I found a local Orpington breeder that has show quality birds, she said she'd sell me a dozen eggs next week, so I'm setting up for that. I wish I could have just found a breeder local to begin with. I wouldn't have ever hatched out or bought chicks this early if I wasn't due with my 3rd baby in June. Rushing trying to make sure everything is completely ready before I'm to big to function:lau
Side note: When I incubate these Orpington eggs, I'm acting going to avoid putting ANY in the middle of the egg tray because none of those hatched....I think my NR360 has 4-5 that would be in the middle. So, I'm going to try avoiding fill those this time.
Ooh, I bet those Orringtons are gorgeous! That's eggciting! Life has a way of making us just jump in quite often 😊

There are so many reasons an egg won't start, or will quit, you can drive yourself bonkers trying to figure it out and you never will.

Did you use the NR360 on this last hatch?

Ooh, I bet those Orringtons are gorgeous! That's eggciting! Life has a way of making us just jump in quite often 😊

There are so many reasons an egg won't start, or will quit, you can drive yourself bonkers trying to figure it out and you never will.

Did you use the NR360 on this last hatch?
Yes I did use NR360!

Back
Top Bottom