Eeeeks....rats in my coop!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Aunt_Nancy, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Aunt_Nancy

Aunt_Nancy Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Last night flashed lights on the coop...and rats (or maybe mice) went a scampering!! eeeks....what do I do?

2. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I'm having the same problem here![​IMG] They come out in broad daylight and eat the ladies' food; dig holes all over our yard; they are out of control!!! It is about time for our ladies to start laying, but I'm worried that I won't even know once they start because the rats will get to the eggs before I do!

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Best thing we did to get rid of rats was to clean up the yard; vegetation needs to be up, off the ground so that you can see under bushes. Remove excess fruit from trees, clean up after your dogs, don't leave any water around; keep food in tightly closed containers. Make sure the coop has no openings larger than a nickel--rats can get through any holes larger than that (yes, that is smaller than the openings in 1" chicken wire--they can definitely get through that).

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Oil of peppermint (the real thing) and cottonballs... throw the cottonballs down any holes or in paths.. (away from cats).. this will make them leave... REALLY

5. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Can rats climb walls?.. I have 1/4" chicken wire 2' off the bottom hoping to aleviate mice and rats, but if they can climb that then they could fit through the 1" wire that I have above the 1/4".

Just curious...

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Mice and some if not all rats will fit through 1/4" holes.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Snap traps set in areas where your chickens cant get to them has always worked best for me. It can be messy but they rarely ever miss. Good luck! Hope you can get them under control.

8. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    You should come up with some type of rodent control program. I spend about 10.00 a month. I place poison in five gallon pails with a 1" hole in it, some snap traps in the coop where I store the feed in aluminum trash cans, and bait packs. I also have a pellet gun that is deadly on any varmit I see. Its quiet and powerful. Chipmunks steal as much food as they can carry and your feed costs will go sky high.. If you do nothing, there will be millions of them. Mice? Pheasants eat mice, lol.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  9. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Invest in a couple of free kittens and raise them to be barn cats - haven't seen a mouse, rat, or mole alive in 9 months! And also, they are the sweetest most personable kitties I have ever known. They come running at treat time to eat with the hens.

10. SteveP

SteveP Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Saint Joseph MO
    For mice the best I have found has been chickens... they will tear them to shreds and fight over them like crazy in my barns. As for the rats I really don't know what to tel you since I have not ever had that problem.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by