Eeek! A hole under my fence!

chickbea

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
Vermont
Well, I went to feed the girls this morning, and the first thing I saw was a big hole under the fence! Eeee! I did a quick head count, and nobody was missing, nor did they seem upset.
Whatever it was had dug the hole under the one old section of the fence that is not buried (of course!). The hole was big enough for a skunk, or a small coon. What would have bothered to dig under there and not eat anything? It's a mystery to me!
hu.gif

Now I have to go out in the rain when I get home tonight and do repairs. Pooh!

Skunks dig extremely well, but you would have had dead birds everywhere.

It's possible a fox or coyote started to dig and maybe got spooked or just ended up thinking it was too much trouble after a while.

The only thing I could think of was that it got zapped by the fence as it was digging. I hope so! I think I'll run another course of wire along the bottom.
This has only started since I put my dog to sleep several weeks ago. I'm getting a new one at the shelter today. Hopefully that helps...

Have you checked how the hole was dug? If the excess dirt is on the outside something tried to dig in, but if not, perhaps one of the girls dug a dust hole next to the fence. I've ended up with holes under the fence just from the hens. Fortunately, they haven't figured out they can get out when this happens.

It was certainly something trying to get in from the outside - the big pile of dirt was the first thing I saw. Oh, my heart! :eek:
I did some additional reinforcing last evening, and then spent the night in my chair. All I heard was a Barred Owl at about 3:30, and it certainly wasn't what had been doing the digging! Hopefully it was out there working on my increasing rodent population!

Back
Top Bottom