Eeek--help with new chick please?

Hollytree10

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Hey y'all. I have my first batch of chicks (6) in their brooder. They are 2 1/2 weeks old and 5 run around, chirp, come running when I put my hand in the brooder. But one--a Buff Orp--is different, and I don't know if it is a problem. She eats, drinks and poops--so that is good. But, she never does what the others are doing. She is the slowest to feather out, she doesn't run or chirp. When the other birds are all running about with a bit of strawberry or something, she is standing staring into the corner. When they are up and doing...she is asleep. When they are asleep, she is pecking around. She is by far the most skittish and seems to have no enthusiasm for anything. The other birds are not picking on her...they just ignore her. Should I be worried or do anything?

Last edited:
Is she the only Orph?

My daughter has a blue Orph "orphan" named Silver given to her by our neighbor since the neighbor didn't really want to have to set up a brooder for one chick and my daughter, well, she loves that kind of stuff. She always had an odd temperment. She's grown and laying now and hangs with our Rooster #2 and won't go in the coop with the other hens unless forced. Silver is very social with humans, but other than Rooster #2 she doesn't care much for other chickens even though she's the largest hen! She is beautiful, just a loner. I have read that Orphs tend to be at the "bottom" of the pecking order in a mixed flock so some of it may just be breed.

Thanks y'all for the response. My 2 week old is actually a Buff Orpington hatched with the others--so not an orphan :) I came home from work, and she has a puffy airy crop and is still lethargic. I read all about sour crop and other things on different people's threads, so I helped her vomit--but the water and chick starter that came out didn't smell bad at all--not sour crop??? I don't know what is going on with her. I don't think she has enough grit for me to give her yogurt--which seemed to be suggested on another thread. Any ideas? this is making me super sad...

Well I lost her and I am beyond sad.
So sorry!
sad.png

I am sorry. If I have learned anything about chicks it is that you will have great success but also suffer losses. Enjoy the rest of your chicks that makes i easier for me when things seem to go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom