Eeks, question about washing eggs for incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckwingmomma, Aug 7, 2013.

1. duckwingmomma

duckwingmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Texas
    We had a dozen eggs sitting in a carton and they were accidentally knocked down. Several broke into the carton and of course got on other eggs. I know we aren't supposed to wash the eggs because of the protective coating but is there anything we can do to salvage the other 9 eggs? Or.......is it safer to just chalk this one up to a loss?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, I wouldn't wash them with water. You could just get a paper towel and wipe away as much mess as possible. If you do wash them, don't overdue it, and use cold water. Warm water will open up the pores of the egg, and disease organisms may be able to infiltrate the eggs. Don't give up on the eggs! Chicken embryos are hardy creatures, so they might not have been harmed by broken egg contents.

3. gvh221

gvh221 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Hello duckwingmomma,

I'm with Wyandottes7 on this one...I would try paper towels or maybe even tissues to help preserve the egg shells' integrity. Whatever you do, don't scrap those eggs; there could be some winners in there waiting to hatch :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by