EE's.....and yoru expert advice!

Quote:
Well ... in 21st Century Poultry Breeding by Grant Brereton, I get the feeling that outcrossing is a last resort type of thing ... that's for sure. I suspect there's nothing wrong with outcrossing (to another breed, mind you) on a "case-by-case basis" or "when circumstances call for it."

It's pretty much open for interpretation when outcrossing is wrong or right. Broadly speaking, sometimes it's probably helping and at other times it is probably interfering. But, yeah, "... nearly if not ALL chicken breeds have all been outcrossed at some point." That's why I'm glad "Easter Eggers" aren't a breed ... because folks ignore them for the most part, look down on them, and don't outcross them (on the whole). Therefore, maybe they're closer to their cold-weather-resistant roots than a breed (which can only designated by APA/ABPA in NA as we all know) that has been improved upon by being standardized, etc.

But who knows? That's one of the problems with writing in forums like this. If we were face to face, then you could have corrected me on my first sentence and we could have carried on amicably from there instead of me rambling on inanely, almost talking to myself.
big_smile.png

Anyway, I really like my "Easter Eggers." They fly well, winter well, lay well, forage well, mix well with others, etc. They're just special. But then so are my other breeds. You know how it is once you start loving chickens; they're good qualities all come to the fore. My chickens don't even smell!
wink.png

Quote:
Pure idiocy.

1. The OP was specifically asking about EEs, not so-called "real Ameraucanas", mmmkay?

2. Why do you allege that they would be better quality? What specifically are you referring to in this regard?

3. In what way will they be better and healthier?

4. How will they live and lay for a longer time? Are you going to guarantee this half-baked claim? Because I don't think the breeder will.

roll.png

Quote:
Because I don't want 25 chicks and I don't want eggs. :p Not to speak for the OP, but that's my conundrum, anyway! I would much rather get full blood Ameraucanas but I only have room for a couple. It's easy enough to find someone to split an order from a general hatchery, not so much to find someone else that understands the value of paying $6 each for a breeder chick.

wow everyone....um, thanks! I see I hit a sore spot, and you all know a lot more than I do that is for certain...now ask about cattle, there I got ya!

I will give it all a thought, I am not looking right now, still too cold here for babes...-1 this morning still...so come spring time I will def look into the different hatcheries...so Cackle is a good one, are there any others I should consider...and I will venture into asking other posters as well. I live in Alamosa, near the Great Sand Dunes National Park, if there is anyone close to me that will be hatching in the spring with these 'wonder chicks'...

thanks again!
smile.png

Quote:
Hi JodyJo,

You mentioned that you haven't ordered from a hatchery before. This is just something to keep in mind so that you don't get caught off guard. Sometimes/Occasionally/At times, those that wait until April (as April seems like "spring" to me) to order their hatchery chicks can be disappointed to find out that they can't get that "special" breed until June because the birds are already spoken for. It just depends on the hatchery you choose and the type of chicks you choose. For instance, if I were to order Speckled Sussex chicks right this minute from Ideal Hatchery, I couldn't get them delivered until May. Of course, there are other hatcheries selling Speckled Sussex, but they could run short also.

That's one reason it's nice to buy at the farm store. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
big_smile.png

Note: I chose Speckled Sussex as an example because I was shocked the other day when I was perusing Ideal's web site to see that they were sold out that far in advance. I'm not sure that "Easter Eggers" ever sell out because I don't pay that close of attention.

Quote:
A couple of things--

If you want hatchery birds, get hatchery birds. There's nothing wrong with them. They're not show quality and probably won't live 8-10 years like a good heritage breed bird, but they'll lay for 4 or so years and up (depending on breed and other conditions, of course) and I've known people with hatchery birds that lived 7+ years in their yards and were wonderful additions to their flock. I have a couple of chickens that started out as hatchery chicks; and while, yes, I do see a difference between the chooks I get from people I know vs. those that come from hatcheries, I'm not looking for showbirds. I just want some nice chickens that'll lay some yummy, golden-yolked eggs and be nice pets. Sometimes they come from breeders, sometimes they come from hatcheries, and now I have an incubator and find eggs of the chooks I want and hatch 'em out myself!

Also, look in the section called "Where am I? Where are you?" and find a thread for people in your area. If one is not already there, start one and introduce yourself and ask if anyone in your area has any nice EE pullets for sale or trade. If you don't find what you're looking for, just go to the feed store and get you some "ameraucana" chicks. They're sold as ameraucanas but they are EEs and are excellent pet-quality birds. I have 2 EEs, and one lays a minty green egg and the other lays an almost GLOWING 2.3-2.4 ounce aqua blue egg. Both girls lay 5-6 eggs a week, though Bertha (the minty green egg layer) is in molt and not laying right now.

Good luck to you, whether you go with a hatchery or a local person! The most important thing of all is to have FUN with your chickens, regardless of what you get or where you get them.

Back
Top Bottom