EEs are so hard to sex - please help!

They look like girls to me
thumbsup.gif

Some of my EE girls had rather pinkish combs at an early age. I swore I had at least 7 boys out of the 12. All of them turned out to be girls.

I think they're all girls.

Once you know what to look for, EEs are really not hard to sex at all. EEs can look rather pink on their combs early on, since their combs are so small and close to their head that the blood flowing through is more visible than on birds with single combs. Males will have a more sculpted comb early on, with three distinct rows of bumps. They tend to resemble little grenades. At far as colors goes... both sexes can look rather patchy, being mutts. The difference is that cockerels will generally have a mess of different colors, particularly on the wings(and particularly the color red).

The reason you are having trouble is because they are all girls, and you're watching them for boy features.
tongue.png
A lot of EE females have the 'wild' coloration. They're similar to Game Fowl that way.

Of course, a word of caution when it comes to EEs... they are a mixed breed, and have no standard. You can get an EE mixed enough that it doesn't follow normal rules (usually not for gender though). Hatchery EEs are usually pretty reliable though.

I agree they all look like girls. I've got two of them and at 8 weeks it's obvious I have a hen and a cock. The male has a bright red comb and even the shape of his head is different.

I'm as happy for you as I am for me, because I have 2 that look just like the 1 and 3 ones of yours!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, if yours are pullets, I bet mine are too:)
woot.gif

103921_babies9_28.jpg

Back
Top Bottom