ee's or ameracanas?

marymac

Songster
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I'v read posts on here that ee's are mutts and Ameracanas are purebreds. Also if you buy from Ideal you are buying EE's. I bought 3 day old chicks from Ideal, and they were sold as Ameracanas. I would really like to know what I have. How can I make sure if I have mutts or Ameracanas?

If they came from Ideal they are Easter eggers. Lots of hatcheries sell easter eggers as AmerAUcanas. They are fine birds, just not the true breed. To get true Ameraucanas you are going to have to locate a breeder, try the ameraucana website.
smile.png

My daughters ordered the Ameraucanas from Ideal twice and they are pretty birds that are gentle and have funny personalities. We enjoy watching them and they do come and jump up on our arms or laps sometimes. They have never been nasty or aggressive . But, they do not look exactly like the purebred birds the Ameraucana breeders have. The body type is a little different. Some of them look close but the colors and leg color is different. Only two of ours from Ideal have slate legs which Im told the purebred ones have. The rest have greenish legs and some have colors that are not breed standard for Ameraucanas, but we love them.
They are great birds. I have had the purebred ones and love them too.
I am hoping for more this fall.
Michele

I was wondering the same thing about two hen's a friend gave me last year. I have asked several chicken owner's what breed they thought they were and they either said muff's or aracanas. I will try to get pic's posted but I'm having trouble with photobucket or maybe it's just me not knowing how to use the service. Anyway they are a light mixed up color and they have muff's on there face. I call them my big booty girl's because they have rather large booty's. They are very gentle and they both lay green egg's. Neither one has feather's on there feet. Any idea's anyone????? PEACE

Helpful thread.

Been wondering what the diff. is between EE and Auracana. Now I know.

Couldn't you get 'true' Auracanas from Murray McMurray? Mt. Healthy? They at least ad. them as Auracanas.

Back
Top Bottom