1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE's - The Plague of Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greenfamilyfarms, Apr 18, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I've noticed a lot lately that nearly every person that asks for help ID'ing a chick gets the "EE" or "EE cross" guess, even if the chick is full blooded.

So, this is getting on my nerves. Especially since not all Easter Egger chicks are striped. NOT EVERY STRIPED CHICK IS AN EE, for crying out loud!

Are they really that common that people just automatically say "EE" without thinking? If so, that makes them the plague of chickens.

If everything is an EE, why have a standard? Why not just throw a bunch of EE's into every flock so that they will be correct.

Geez!

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

You could be very correct with that statement! I just hatched 90 mutts from a RIR daddy and I've got strpes galore! I know for a fact that only 8 were from my one americana.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

and if an EE lays an egg other than blue or green (mine lays pinkish brown)- is it still an EE or just a run of the mill mutt?

[​IMG]

I like mutts, but if the definition for EE is so broad, then I have a LOT of EE's running around.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think a lot of people don't really understand what an EE is. They hear others refer to them as mutts and then think that all mutts must be EEs. To find out what an EE is; check here:

http://www.eastereggers.com/

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    wow they have a website! Thats cool! [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That website is meant as a joke, folks. It's tongue-in-cheek. [​IMG]

7. jessieloveschicks

jessieloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    graham wa
    You sure that website was meant as a joke?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Honestly, I think someone got angry that they bought a bird labeled an Ameraucana and those who know told them they have Easter Eggers. So, they made up that whole site. There are no standards for EEs, sorry.

9. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    They have a whole 4 people that have joined that forum.....looks like a joke to me. The posts aren't even serious....the few posts that are on there.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yikes, I didn't realize this was a rant.

Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by