Egg 3 is dead..Graphic photos

6 eggs you can see the yolk move round in the shell when you turn it, no dark spots, no nothing. 1 other egg, well DARN....its got MEGA veins and a big red spot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi! That's what you should be seeing!
I think you did right by taking out the non-viables and adding more. It doesn't make sense to leave them once you know they aren't developing. I didn't notice Fiona's eggs being porous when she was here, but I never incubated any of them either.
smile.png

Lisa​

Quote:
Hi! That's what you should be seeing!
I think you did right by taking out the non-viables and adding more. It doesn't make sense to leave them once you know they aren't developing. I didn't notice Fiona's eggs being porous when she was here, but I never incubated any of them either.
smile.png

Lisa

Put 5 in today, 1 of them being Fionas, so we will see. Maybe its just the time of year with the cold and such. Oh well here goes. Hey I might be coming to you for a ducky buddy if only 1 hatches out Lisa.

I had a batch of 22 last January and not ONE of them was viable. Waited two weeks and bam--ALL were viable. So it could totally be the time of year. I think you're right to start more--that way if any in the second batch hatch, your first baby will have companions eventually. Good luck!
big_smile.png

I just looked at this again and it occurred to me that the location in the incubator COULD have something to do with it... Humidity won't affect the growth at this point--it has more to do with the baby's ability to get out of the egg, and not much to do with how it grows. BUT, if there are hot/cool spots in the incubator, it's possible your one egg was in the warmest spot and maybe the overall temp is a bit low (or vice versa).

Have you hatched in this incubator before? If not, see if you can get your viable egg plus one other right at the back, so you can see if it makes a difference.

If you have gay ducks, you're in trouble!
lol.png
And so am I!
hide.gif

I still think the most likely answer is the time of year. It may be a month or two before you have consistent fertility. But I hope your next batch is better!

Quote:
Its a brand spankin new incubator...Santa came early
wink.png

This egg thats developing was right at the back but I did move them all round on Tuesday. The other 6 eggs, ...there was just nothing there, so Im thinking its the time of year...pluss...I moved them into their groups 2 weeks ago...stress maybe...or I have gay ducks
lau.gif

But we soldier on with 5 new ones put in today so fingers crossed for this batch. I dont realy want to raise 1 lone duckling.
Merry Christmas to you and yours Heather. Hope the New Year brings you all you wish for.

So far I have the Lonesome egg and I think 2 out of this second batch, Going to leave it a few more days just to make sure, but at least I wont be raising a lone duckling after all. Im so happy and looking forward to next year when they hatch. 28 days is a long time when you are waiting for something to happen. Im like a kid at Christmas.

Yay! I was just wondering how your new batch was doing. Two is not great but, like you said, at least you won't be raising a lone ducklings. Plus, it sounds like your fertility is increasing a bit--as the days grow longer, it should continually improve. I guess I need to bring out my incubator and prep it for Spring. I can't believe it's already almost hatching time! Woo-hoo!

Thought I would do an update.
1 due on the 14th and 2 due on the 20th.
Candled last night and all were be boppin in the shells so I must be doing something right...right?
8 more days ish and I should...hopefully, fingers crossed...have a fuzzy butt entering the world.

Back
Top Bottom