Egg Basket Color Fifty Years From Now Will Be:

How about these feather colors?

1656870140533.jpeg

Or Blue Australorps that were blue like this?

1656870343377.jpeg

I've always been extremely fascinated with feathers and their colors, hence my keeping poultry and parrots for much of my life. Interesting fact about feather color, colors in the feathers of a bird are formed in two different ways, from either pigments or from light refraction caused by the structure of the feather. And sometimes colors are the result of a combination of pigment and structural colors together. I love the sheen some birds produce, just fascinating.

I'd like it if they turned on that dormant gene for teeth that chickens carry. Now that would be something. Probably terrifying, but certainly worth seeing.

As far as colored eggs I've seen most colors, and after a while it you get used to it. At least I did, so I personally wouldn't buy a chicken for its egg color anymore., but interesting thoughts. :)
Jack Horner (the paleontologist-consultant for Jurassic Park) has been trying to pull that off for just about a decade now. I remember listening to his "chickenosaurus" pitch at a genetics seminar right out of undergrad a few years back; it's never a good sign when a speaker explicitly tells the scientists in the audience not to ask questions!

It's a pretty silly project. We have perfectly good dinosaurs living right now: that's what a chicken is. You can learn some interesting things about evolutionary ontology by trying to modify the developmental pathways a chicken takes, which has some implications for developmental biology, but mostly it's a passion project George Lucas has chosen to throw a few millions toward.

Jack Horner (the paleontologist-consultant for Jurassic Park) has been trying to pull that off for just about a decade now. I remember listening to his "chickenosaurus" pitch at a genetics seminar right out of undergrad a few years back; it's never a good sign when a speaker explicitly tells the scientists in the audience not to ask questions!

It's a pretty silly project. We have perfectly good dinosaurs living right now: that's what a chicken is. You can learn some interesting things about evolutionary ontology by trying to modify the developmental pathways a chicken takes, which has some implications for developmental biology, but mostly it's a passion project George Lucas has chosen to throw a few millions toward.
It will be the domain of Billionaires who have millions to spare for fun Genetic manipulation projects. It gives them the feeling that they have the power of the God or something.

Back
Top Bottom